Building New Computer, Need Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spydaman54, Jun 26, 2004.

1. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

I am building a computer with a soyo kt2600 dragon plus v1.0 mother board socket A, AMD athlon xp2600 processor 333 fsb, radeon 9600xt 128mb video card.......I have everything together and it all turns on, but the bios doesnt come up on the screen and nothing happens, i have trouble shoot it for the last 2 days and now soyo is closed for the weekend, if anyone can help me get this running i would really apperiacte it. thanks

(instant messenger = spydaman54)

2. lordbean

lordbean Guest

could be a dead processor - are you getting any beeps on the PC speaker?

3. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

no beeps at all, but i had the bios up once and then it froze on me and when i reset nothing has come up since

4. lordbean

lordbean Guest

sounds like something went to pot then... is your processor cooled properly? AMD chips burn out quite fast if their cooling isn't installed properly.

5. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

yeah, its got a cooling fan, i just bought all this stuff two days ago, it hasnt been on long enought to burn out i dont think

6. lordbean

lordbean Guest

by "quite fast" I meant approximately 6 seconds. Without proper heatsink/fan installation that's how long it takes an AMD chip to fry itself to shreds. If you didn't see any smoke, that might not be the issue tho. Try re-seating the RAM and the expansion cards, and if that doesn't work, take everything out of it except CPU, RAM, and vid and try to boot it.

7. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

yeah, there wasnt any smoke, it booted, then froze i reset and nothing happened, but im going to try and take it all out now and see if that works, thanks

8. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

i just did that, and i still have a blank screen

9. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

I also just took the processor off the mother board and it looks fine, there are no burns or any other indications that i may have burned out

10. lordbean

lordbean Guest

the problem likely isn't the CPU then... try a different graphics card if you have one. (pilfer one from another machine temporarily)

11. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

im not sure if this matters either, but when I turn on the computer, the cd rom lights flash and everything is on in the inside, but there is no video

12. lordbean

lordbean Guest

the CD light blinking is something all CDROMs do, just about every form of IDE drive device will immediately start seeking when it powers on...

No video is an indication your video card isn't working (I wonder why). try another video card.

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I had the exact same problem with the same cpu. I got the bios up once or twice but it finally quit working @ all, and i would get no video. my case doesn't have a speaker, so i couldn't hear if it was beeping or not. but anyways i shipped the cpu back, and they are sending me a different one. i'll see how it works out.