Building new computer, critique my system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by borborygmus, Oct 10, 2005.

1. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I currently use an oldschool gateway machine that I have had since Fall of 1999 and I figure that it is time to upgrade. My current system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 700mHz
    384mb ram
    nVidia GeForce 32mb vid card
    20gb ATA HDD

I am thinking of replacing it with this...
    Proc = Intel Celeron D 340 (2.93 Ghz) $96.25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112195

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-8I865GVME $63.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128305

Mem = Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) $88.85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141423

Maxtor MaXLine III 7L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache $96.75
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144236

Sony DWQ28A DVD burner, dual layer $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131256

I am going to reuse the case and power supply I already have

I don't do any gaming or anything like that, this is just a computer that I am gonna use for burning DVD's, downloading pr0n and surfing OT. I occasionally do photo editing with photoshop, but other than that I don't do much. My current computer keeps dragging down when I have photoshop, firefox, and aim running, and my HDD is slow as balls when copying/transferring stuff.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Buck up and buy a real Pentium. Celerons have less, if any, cache memory on the CPU. Cache memory is important because it stores frequently-used instructions (like rules for video games) in super-fast memory right next to the circuits that will use them, which speeds up any sort of repetitive calculations dramatically. And believe me, all computers have a few calculations they repeat billions of times per hour. Yes, I meant billions, not millions.

2. The motherboard looks alright, but I prefer Asus motherboards myself. They're not flashy and they usually don't have the most cutting edge equipment (at least not the small ones) but they are stable and they have a feature that lets you boot up and restore the BIOS even after you screwed it up. Normally that's impossible to fix.

3. You should consider buying a single 1GB ram card instead of 2 512MB ram cards. Most micro ATX motherboards (like the one you picked) have only two slots, and there is a halfway decent chance that there will come a time when having more than 1GB of memory will be a big help to the computer's ability to run new programs. It would suck to have to throw out your old memory just to free up space to put in more.

4. I'd go with a Seagate Barracuda hard disk instead of a Maxtor. It's a matter of brand recognition for the most part, but I've never ever heard of someone complaining about a Seagate wearing out and breaking on them. I HAVE personally had a Maxtor, a Fujitsu, and a Hitachi break on me. I'd trust a Seagate to store my medical records if I had a heart attack.

5. Check your power supply wattage. If it isn't at least 400 watts, it's going to bog down when you power the thing up; your new CPU will eat 100 watts all by itself. I recommend the Vantec iON2 460watt power supply, also available on newegg. It's the quietest power supply you'll ever own, in all likelihood, and it's not a cheap piece of crap either. I have one in my komp right now.

3. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

You definately won't be able to re-use your old PSU, I wouldn't be surprised if that thing is 250W, or maybe I would..

4. chrislehr

chrislehr * from home

Yea, you want a new case/CPU trust me.

If its a GW, it may be proprietary.

5. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

Deu, I can't really justify an extra $30 for the 2.4 P4 proc. they are fine and dandy, but I am trying to keep this relatively cheap.

2. so this mobo is fair enough :dunno:

3. I can't fathom ever needing more than a gig of memory for what I am using the box for.

4. the 20gb drive I have in my current computer is a maxtor and it is like 6 years old and still doing ok :dunno:

5. that's like an extra $70 for a power supply :eek4:

fuck it, I might just buy the DVD burner and put it in the wife's computer and just keep using my old one until it totally breaks :o

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, I understand your concern about the money. But having seen the computers my father built, and having finally had the chance to splurge on better quality ones for my family, I can confidently say that a computer with good parts (I didn't say top-of-the-line parts) will last a lot longer before needing upgrades or repairs.

What it boils down to is that you can spend the money now to make it better, or wait a while until the parts are cheaper. The problem with waiting is that you can't be certain that the parts you'll need will still be available, ESPECIALLY since computers are moving in the direction of a whole set of new standards that are making everything now obsolete. (not that this is somehow a new thing.)

If you cheap out now, you could (and probably will) find that you'll have to replace parts you didn't expect to have to replace later on if something gives out on you, and none of the new offerings are compatible with what you have. Think of it as a one-time insurance payment.

EDIT: So +$30 for the Pentium instead of the Celeron and +$70 for a new quiet power supply (which is good for quality of life as well as function). The Seagate hard disk I suggested should be the exact same price as a Maxtor with better quality control. That's only $100 more than you expected to spend. Hell, I suppose you could get a cheap power supply and forget about the extra noise, and then you're only spending $30 more for the better CPU. That's two days' worth of groceries for something that will last you three years or more. It's not that much over the long term.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

You'll never need more than 1 gig of RAM in that machine. If you were buying a top-of-the-line AMD64 monster, then I could understand the argument for allowing for future expansion beyond 1 gig. However, you're never going to use your Celeron or entry-level Pentium system for something like heavy graphics or video editing that requires more than a gig.

You definitely don't need a $70 PSU for that system. $30 will get you a 400W ATX PSU that works just fine. You won't even push it to its limits with that system.

As a matter of personal preference, I would go for a Sempron instead of the Celeron. But if you just want a cheap machine, either will do.

8. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I was actually shooting for around a $350 price range, but I don't think it can be done for that, so I let it slide to $400. An extra $100 on top of that is actually more like $150 above what I wanted to spend, and that's just too much more money :o

I am gonna go home and check the power ratings on the two PSUs I have at home. Who knows, maybe one of them is powerful enough :dunno:

9. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

what about an AMD based mobo/chip? :dunno:

10. tony

tony Guest

A celeron will be perfectly fine, especially since you're currently using a 700mhz proc. For what you're going to be using it for, spending extra for a P4 would be a complete waste.

I would actually recomend droping down to something like a 330J or even less. You can save a chunk of money there, and put it twards a new power supply that you werent expeciting. The procs with a "J" attached to the number have the exception bit handling; that combined with XPSP2 (when you enable it) will help stop some kinds of viruses. I would recomend getting it.

Same with the RAM, you'll be perfectly fine with 512Meg of ram for now. It will save you a little bit of money now, and later when you have the cash you can bump it up to 1GB. My desktop only has 512, and can do more with my machine than you've stated you need to do. I have a P4 2.6GHz, and in most cases it will not out-shine a celeron d of the same frequency.

11. tony

tony Guest

Going the AMD route will be just fine, go with whatever is cheaper.

12. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

13. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

14. feetball

feetball New Member

You will always be able to get more power for your $$$ when going AMD.

AMD > iNTEL any day. I've NEVER owned an intel product, and never will.

15. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

It doesn't really matter at this point anyway, lisa said no go to the new computer :greddy:

she said if I don't like mine I should take her 1.7 celeron box with 256ram, intel extreme 1 video card (that intel no longer supports), and 30gb HD instead

woo what an upgrade compared to what I already have and what I had spec'd out! :ugh2:
    Her computer is only 2 years newer than my computer

16. feetball

feetball New Member

Damn ... I HATE when that shit happens.

Sometimes tho ... you gotta just do it and then ask for forgiveness later.

Wha happend to teh Dell lappy?

17. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

why do you think she offered me her old system? I don't get to play with that either :sadwavey:

18. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

mother FUCK!

I was just gonna go ahead and use her computer and just put all of the extra shit from mine into it, but the fucking RAM is different and her mobo doesnt have a goddamn AGP slot!!@#$$#!

:madfawk:

EDIT: if only there was a way that I could order everything, have it sent to my office, and then just put it all in my case. She wouldn't figure that one out in a bajillion years, but she leaves at the same time I do, and gets home sooner :wtc:

19. feetball

feetball New Member

I just "break" what I have now. Since this is our only pc besides my server, I get approvals an shit.

Now if it is for something that only I would use like say ... a turbo setup or new pistol, then HELL NO!!!!

20. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

omg, I somehow managed to fenagle my way back into the game! She said I can order it, I better place the order before she changes her mind :eek5: :run:

21. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

woo woo!