Building new comp in a few months, some quick questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Akicita, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Akicita

Akicita New Member

Alright so I plan on building a new computer at the end of the year. My current comp was built at a friends computer store a few years back for about $1100. I would go there again but I don't live in that city anymore and I'd rather just buy my stuff off of newegg.

My current computer is pretty outdated, here are it's specs:

Asus mobo
    Amd64 3200+
    ATI x800 pro 256mb
    2 gigs of ram
    soundcard? think it's some cheap one not sure :o

anyway, it's an old agp slot mobo and what not, so I'm guessing I can't use anything from this setup when I build the new comp right? since everything is pci-e nowadays.

basically my question is, when building the new comp...what exactly am I all going to need to order? Mobo, Processor, Vid Card, Hard Drive, Memory...I know those for sure, but can I use my current power supply? what about my current Hard Drive? Thanks for the help :o

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, go with PCI-E.
    SATA for the HD.

for the power supply, how old? what model/specs?
    check if it does have the necessary connectors (e.g. PCI-E 6-pin power connectors for graphics cards).

3. Akicita

Akicita New Member

I built my current comp in the summer of '04 :o so yea it's pretty old :o I guess I can't keep anything on it. Guess I can just give it to my parent's since they don't do much on the internet. I'll have to look up the HD when I get home, since I'm at work. Hoping I can use this HD on the new set-up, hate to lose all my movies and music I have on it :hs:

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

don't worry about the HD. converters can be bought,.. but it's nice if you don't have to buy one.

start by determining a budget.
    check out the previous threads about builds in this sub forum.
    a lot of suggestions/lists has already been made.

5. Akicita

Akicita New Member

alright thanks, I'll have about $1500 to spend...I've been looking around at prices on mobos and processors