Building HTPC, questions inside

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ls1norcal, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

First off, Im looking for a keyboard that will function at about 30-40 feet away from the base. Im building my parents a HTPC, and all their equipment is tucked away in cabinet in the hallway. Logitech claims 60 feet with this one, but the reviews seem to be split down the middle when it comes to this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126176

Secondly, the receiver they have in an Onkyo TXSR674 with HDMI switching and it says it has 1080p processing. Can anyone think of a reason why HDMI switching through the receiver wouldnt work with a computer? I dont see why not.

Also, I dont think my parents TV is 1080p. It's a Sharp from Costco. Assuming its only 720, how will the picture look on the 46" screen at only 1366 X 720 ?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, my tv will handle 1080i and 720p. it's native resolution is 1366x768. however, the closest i can get it with help from power strip is 1360 x 768. it looks ok, not horrible. a little too crisp if you know what i mean, like you can see jaggy edges sometimes
    i don't see why the hdmi switching on the receiver wouldn't work, keep in mind that hdmi from a pc will only carry a video signal, but that shouldn't cause a problem

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

also, if possible you could always get really long ps/2 or usb connectors and hide the reciever for the wireless keyboard/mouse closer to where its going to be used

4. r1dd1ck

r1dd1ck New Member

5. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

This is what Im doing, I was having a world of hurt getting any wireless setup working more than 10 feet away.

Another option is picking up the microsoft keyboard and mediac enter remote combo, I've heard good things about them.