MMA building hand speed

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Feb 2, 2007.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Any advise on building hand speed or links. All the guys at my gym just say hit the speed bag and to use resistance bands

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I shadowbox with wrist weights twice a week.

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

masturbate really really!... ahh forget it

4. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I do this sometimes with 5 or 10lb dumbells.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I used to do that for awhile but a trainer told me it only develops power not speed. According to him.

6. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

power is bad? but greater speed=greater power, so i think i see your point.

7. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

that seems kind of heavy.

I was always told to 1 to 2 pounds was most effective.

8. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Power = Strength x Speed

It works because my hands are much, much faster than they were.

9. xinster

xinster New Member

your not supposed to box with heavy weights because it messes you shoulder. the force of the weights (gravity) isn't even pointing in the same vector as the force of your punch. its perpendicular, which is the worst vector possible. its better to box with bands but if you want to box with weights you shouldnt go to heavy

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

that puts a lot of stress on all of the joints in your body, because you're throwing it hard to gain speed, but your joints suffer when your body has to slow the weight down. unless you just throw the weights... that's actually kind of a good idea :eek3:

Fedor uses 1lb weights in his training video, I wouldn't go much heavier than that, although bands are a sensible alternative and solution to allow you to have more resistence, because you don't have to stop that huge force and fuck up your joints... Also that point about the downward force of the weight when it's being pulled by gravity is a good one, could definitely add to the joint-irritation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

agreed... really shadowboxing with just your bare hands is great because it works on form. As for speed I think the bag is best, because you can really go full force and not worry about hurting yourself by throwing a full punch at air and having to slow it down (heavybag). The speedbag doesn't necessarily make you faster, it is just really good for hand-eye coordination and also rythym.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Everybody has their own conception of it.

To me, power is force and follow through, which is a measure of strength plus your form and weight, which allow you to have a harder punch once you've got your momentum going and also allow for a bigger follow-through because you've got more weight leaning on it.

Speed is just speed. You hear about people being able to throw 400 "full contact" punches in a minute, but they're spending so much time and energy pulling their fists back the second they make contact that there's no follow-through, which would prevent them from doing damage.

A good combination of speed and power is most effective. That way you have less telegraphing and predictability, and enough power to daze or KO your opponent. You don't need to crush their skull and you don't need to punch 30 times at the speed of light.

The same obviously applies to all strikes and in fact all movements.

13. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Skeletor is right for the most part. A combination of heavy bag work, pads training, shadowboxing and proper weight training will help you gain power. There is no one single thing that is going to help you, but a combination of doing everything right.

The biggest thing is technique obviously. With proper technique, power is simply a result of it. For example, when throwing a straight right (or left if you're a southpaw), the punch really starts at your foot. You should be pushing off the ground, and twisting your body into the punch with your hips. Using all of your momentum to push the punch forward and through the target.

The other thing is strength/weight training. Many people are wrong in using bodybuilding training techniques, when really it is ineffective. As discussed above, the entire body is being used in a proper punch, not just the arms. So, as a result you should be developing total body power, working your body as a unit. I think the best exersises (besides the core ones of squat, deadlift, bench) are olympic lifts (clean and jerk, snatch) and one handed dumbbell snatches. These are best done very dynamically, and with full force and speed.

I suppose one last thing that I don't like about using weights to punch with is how it affects your shoulders. If you draw a freehbody diagram, your arm is acting like a lever and pushing up on your shoulder. You are having to fight your arm against being pulled down, when really you want to be pushing against something. Thus, the one handed dumbbell snatch is a good strength training mimic of a punch, because the weight is pressing towards your hand, not down.

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

that was really funny- i thought id actually write something instead of doing this :rofl: :bigthumb:

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i never knew you were a genius.... did you just look that up?? dont lie to me :nono:

16. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Stay loose and tense on contact or just slightly before.

17. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

18. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

19. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

QFT

Staying loose will let your hips send that whiplike effect into your arms. Since your arm is so much lighter than the area around your hip but the same amount of energy is transfered to your arm, it has to move much more quickly; much faster than your shoulder, chest, and triceps could flex.

When you tense up right before impact it will keep the wave from being sent back into your body and will transfer all that momentum into your target.

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest