A&P Building custom frames for posters/art, has anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MikeTheVike1, Jun 14, 2008.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

i bought a 29" x 54" poster from art.com, which was too big for them to matte, frame and ship. I think I'm going to build a simple frame out of wood, and paint it.

Anyone have any tips? I have tools that I can use at work to cut the wood, I can also get plexiglass from work to put in front of the matte and poster. Does matte come in large enough sizes that I can cut out a piece that works, or will I have to seam 2 pieces? What should I put behind the poster, cardboard? poster board?

Any opinions on size of matte, width of frame, etc.?

link to poster...http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD-...igID=9948&ui=E134A4D5672C492EA9B94DA4AE817833

I want the frame to look like the SoHo matte or GeorgeTwon Expresso frames

UPDATE: I'm trying to move forward with this...

Here is a link to the poster and the framing tool on art.com...

http://www.art.com/FrameStudio/default.asp?PD=10044327&SP=A&ui=4F9ED7680B214BB2AA 833A3DC9E77BD5&customerzoneid=3

I have a 3" mat on there now, I need opinions on what you guys think is a good mat size. I also need some opinions on the size of the frame. Normally I would like something wider, like 2.375". But I almost think the thinner, 1.25", frames look better with this size of poster. Thanks! And where can I get mat large enough for this for cheap? something at least 60" on one side

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. MikeTheVike1

hmm, would this post be better suited for Style forum, or another?

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you can get routed frame sections or you could use bits of wood trim etc.. get a small mitre box or make friends with someone who has a workshop :dunno:

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

building frames really isn't that hard if you have a few somewhat specific tools. my dad did a lot of woodworking and i've got a buddy that actually owns a custom framing business. you'll need a miter saw to cut the angles properly, a drill to pre-drill the corners, small finish nails to hold the corners while the glue dries, wood glue to hold the corners together, and some sort of clamp to help hold it while the glue dries.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I just built my first frame the other day, from scratch with #2 pine.

I routed all of the edges and the class/artwork insert, mitered all of the corners, and joined everything with a biscuit joiner.

I'm in the process of staining it, which I suck at, but I'll definitely post pics when I'm done.

It really wasn't that hard, and once I get the art of staining down, I'm gonna redo most of the frames in my house.

It's about time I can frame and mat my work around the picture instead of around the frame....

:cool:

6. MikeTheVike1

Was the pine easy to work with and decent quality? I'm not really looking for anything that looks great, since I'll be painting it black anyway.

Did you use a matte? Or use glass or plexiglass in the front? What did you stick behind the work for support?

7. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Pine was great to work with. Just be careful about which pieces you get. Some were warped or bent. I had to look through pretty carefully to get good ones.

I always mat my work, and I always use glass. The way I mat my work also supports it. I cut two identically sized pieces of mat, mount them so they open like a book, cut the window on the top one, and then physically attach the picture to the bottom one with archival photo corners. Then I sign/identify the picture on the 2nd mat.

This way it's super clean when you're viewing the print, but you can see the information if you open it up.

9. MikeTheVike1

Thanks for the info! The poster is about 30"x 60", do they make whole sheets of mat big enough for that? If not, should I seam two pieces? Thanks again! I'm lucky that i can get all the materials, wood, plexiglass, tools and shit at my work, just have to get someone to show me how to use the saws without chopping a hand off.

10. MikeTheVike1

bump for update at top...