WEB Building/configuring a webserver..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

My mate dropped around today with a little gift from a company that closed down.. a big mofo Dell server. Haven't had a chance to google it's specs properly yet but from a quick glance it's got 8 hot-swappable SCSI drives, 2 quick-remove power sources, and I think he said 2 x PIII-500 processors (yeh, not so crash hot) and 2gb ram.

I don't plan to run anything big on this, obviously, due to how old it is.. but I would REALLY like to use it to practice/learn setting up webservers from scratch, so eventually I can build my own dedicated.

I have no problems installing Linux, and putting apache/php/mysql on it.. what i'm more looking for help with, is any guides as to security-setup etc. What do I need to do on a virgin install of say Ubuntu, to make it safe to put this thing live online with some small play-around sites? Or to use it as an online testing ground for my development?

Also how does one point a domain name at your own static IP? What do you use for nameservers etc?

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Security is pretty solid with linux out of the box I prefer Debian personally or FreeBSD if you wanna go unix.

Webservers are simple really
    Static IP and point shit at your own box Generally I use BIND to set up your own DNS and point it all at the same IP.

Setup your Apache ect.. get shit listening on the right ports and your done.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Since Ubuntu is derived from Debian, he should be fine. I've created servers from both Ubuntu and Gentoo. They are both really good. Ubuntu is just much easier to set up, and Gentoo isn't really a server OS (but then again, any linux could be used as a server). I don't know about DNS, but I know that's what you've got to learn for pointing to your server. I've actually got almost the same one as you, but mine is the quad 700 Mhz. They are huge, 110 lb servers, and they are LOUD. I'll be picking up a few more servers when I go to work on Friday. I have to set them up with RAID for work and test them.

4. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Yeh sounds similar.. this thing is a bitch to pick up.. had to carry it 2 blocks because there's no parking outside my shop :p

The setup of ubuntu, apache, etc I can do.. I guess the main thing I have to figure out is the process of pointing my domain at it.. setting up the DNS, etc.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I actually still need to learn DNS also.

I had to carry my beast from my car, and up 3 flights of stairs.

6. opie

opie hi. OT Supporter

Use a free dns hosting service like editdns.net, I used to own it... A stable solution.