Building comp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mooredodge, Feb 8, 2005.

1. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I'm thinking about building a comp, which I've never done before. I've switched components and such, but never built one from the ground up. My question has to do with cables. Generally, when you buy components, do they come with the cables you'll need? I know I'll need the IDE cables, but what about everything else? Just wanting to order everything all at once, so I don't realize I forgot something and have to wait on another order. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

Generally your motherboard will come with the IDE cables. Other than those I can't think of any other cables that you would need to buy.

3. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Yeah, it's been my experence that *most* hardware you buy will come with all the cables you'll need and often, more.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

:werd:

Even if you need more IDE cables for any reason they are dirt cheap these days.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If you buy OEM parts they generally do not come with cables, a motherboard setup usually only comes with one ide cable.

6. dijital

dijital New Member

depends on the number of IDE channels on the board. if you have 2 channels, they'll give you two. if you have 4 SATA channels, they will give you 4 cables. you usually get all the cables you need as long as you buy retail products, not their OEM counterparts.

7. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Ok thanks for the help everyone. The only reason I mentioned the IDE was I usually buy the rounded ones, since they're a dirt cheap mod, and the last mobo I installed for a friend (an ASUS) didn't come with any IDE cables. I'll let everyone know how it turns out once I order everything and get it together. :bigthumb:

8. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

newegg.com for the parts
    and u might need serialATA cables depending on what u buy

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Im in the same boat as you, i knew how to install graphics card and how they were put together, but never built one. I built my system a few months ago, i purchased everything off of newegg, and everything came with all the cables you need. Be carefull when installing your CPU and things with thermal grease, make sure you keep it clean and dont put to much grease on or it will come out the side when you put the heatsink on. Only problems i had was setting the jumpers right on the motherboard, mine came with a diagram but i still had some difficulty setting up the sound inputs in front of the computer and some of the jumpers for the USB connections. Good luck, its not hard, everything pretty much goes in one spot, its hard to fuck up.

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Weird, I've often only received 1 IDE cable when the motherboard has 2 channels and 1 SATA cable even though I've had 2 channels :wtc:

This has been from a range of motherbaords, low-budget to my Abit NF7-S.