Building an External HDD, what should i use

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigman7903, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've got a MBP (Core Duo) and i'm getting to the point where i need a new external HDD, i was thinking about using one of the external HDD cases from Newegg, but i don't know what type of HDD i would need in order to stay compatible w/ my Mac. Sata? Ultra ATA (100/133)? IDE?

In addition to this, i know, as with all electronics, some brands are more reliable than others, i know that Maxtor for example doesnt have an excellent track record. What brands would you suggest, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, Western Digital...? Thanks

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

If you're buying a case and drive separately, it doesn't really matter what the interface you choose between the bare drive and the case, just as long as the case has an external interface compatible with your Mac. SATA is newer and might be a bit faster though.

As far as the interface between the Mac and the case, Firewire 800 would be the fastest choice.

3. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

4. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i'm thinking of going with a NAS

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

WTF is an NAS

7. fukijama1

fukijama1 OT Supporter

get a enclosure that has the same interface with the hard drive you want. so if its an sata 3.5 hard drive then get a sata enclosure. ultra ata is same as ide and pata. seagate or western digital. either one is good

8. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Network accessible storage. I've considered this. You can go to: http://www.freenas.org/ and create a bootable CD or USB jump drive. Load a few 750GB or whatever capacity HDD's into the PC, set up a software raid array, and you've got a dedicated network file server :cool: