A&P Building an astro photo.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ASIGN_Baz, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

This thread is to show the progression of an astro-photo over a few nights (many hours) of image data capture and subsequent stacking.

Tonight's stack (captured last night) is five images of twenty minutes exposure each, with NO flats or darks subtracted yet.

Over the next couple of months, I will hopefully get some more clear nights with no moon, where I can capture more images of this region, and progressively add the data.

Once the signal-to-noise ratio starts to smooth out, I will also bring in the flats and darks, arriving at a final image of many hours of exposure.

M78 is a bright diffuse reflection nebula in the Orion region, roughly 1,600 light years away. Inside it, are two stars around magnitude 10 which both light up the cloud from within.

This image data was captured with a Skywatcher Black Diamond ED 120 APO Refracting telescope and an Orion Starshoot Pro CCD camera mounted on an EQ6 Pro mount. Images are captured in Light RAW 1x1 then converted to colour. RGB Color correction is taken from a white point.

Stay tuned...

Baz.
    [​IMG]

2. upgrayedd

upgrayedd a double dose of this pimpin OT Supporter

3. assclown

assclown Active Member

Looking forward to seeing more. :bowdown:

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

That rocks! :bigthumb:

5. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Here you go, so far I got 16 x 20 minute exposures stacked, 10 x 20 minute darks subtracted, 10 x 0.1 sec flats with 10x 0.1 sec flat-darks subtracted.

I think I will get a few more subs though and keep going with it. I had to reject over 2 hours worth of exposures due to all kinds of anomalies, but 16 is pretty satisfying so far.

Baz.

[​IMG]