GUN Building an AR15 with a setup closest to an M4

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Sep 6, 2008.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I was looking at a CMMG Lower, Rocker River Upper, and a a stock M4 Butt

Any other thoughts

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Because its the closest thing to what we shoot. And maybe you should have read my other posts in the thread talking about .223 to realize I wasnt being serious

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If you are wanting a "mil-spec" gun, than the parts combination you have chosen above won't be true to spec for a variety of reasons. This is one of the few times that I imagine the AR chart would come in handy.

If you are just wanting something to train with that would give you the proper look and feel.... than it still depends. Most of my friends qualified with 20" AR's, and they all had a variety of stuff issued to them (stocks, glass, rails, etc).

If you were wanting to train up for .mil work, I imagine you would be far better off just buying a basic AR from whatever reputable company that suits your taste, topping it with an aimpoint (what I usually see guys over there running), and getting some decent training. Some good classes will do far more for you than whatever Noveske/Colt/Blah blah blah AR will.....

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Why not just buy a Colt then?

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would disagree. If we are talking about raw shooting there is something to be said about muscle memory, and subconscious thought. If you learn, practice, and train with a tool that your going to fight with your going to be way better off. Different firearms point differently, the recoil and track differently. Being able to call shots is based on training, practice, and familiarity.

You can hand me any glock, Ar-15, shotgun w/ strait stock and I'm going to be able to show you something. You can hand me a revolver and I'm going to shoot like a noob. The bore axis is just too high, it points way different, and the trigger pull is way too long.

Now if we are talking about fighting, serious competition shooting, etc then it is mostly mind set. This means confidence, this means everything is done in the subconscious, this means muscle memory. You don't think, you just react, your awareness is wide open. Stress does not freeze you, stress gives you a major boost of adrenaline.

While equipment is a small piece of the equation, it is at least a piece that you can control. Learning to read wind, read distance, shoot moving targets, shoot on the move, knowing what you need to see for targets of various difficulty, shooting fast splits, and working from every position imaginable take major effort. All this stuff is only slightly more of the equation. The real weapon is the shooter.

7. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

The real weapon is your mom.

j/k

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

agreed

9. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Colt 6920, closest you'll get. send the upper to adco to have the bbl shortened and flash hider perm attached. Then all you're lacking is the fun setting on the selector switch.