GUN Building an AR :cool:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigboostdsm, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I’ve been contemplating building an AR for a year or so now and I finally have enough extra spending money to do so (though now I’m broke :o). Originally I was going to do a budget build then slowly add the pieces that I wanted as I got money. If there was one thing I learned from owning a DSM, it was to “do it once and do it right”, so I’m applying that to firearms.

I’m going to use a stripped Spikes Tactical lower w/ bullet markings. Bought it from a shop just outside of Nashville after getting aggravated with the local place I usually go to (they said I couldn’t buy a gun since I’m not a citizen :ugh:). The dealer I bought from is a sponsor on the local gun forum I’m on and he’s been awesome to deal with. I’ll be picking it up Friday evening on my way to visit my parents in IL for spring break. Nashville is about 3 hours from here, so rather than make a 6 hour round trip for the lower; I figure I’ll just grab it on my way up to Chicago since it’s only an hour out of the way.

So far I’ve purchased:

• Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower (w/pictogram)
    • Ergo Suregrip (Tan)
    • RRA winter trigger guard
    • RRA lower parts kit
    • CMT 6 pos Mil-spec buffer tube
    • Carbine buffer/spring/castle nut
    • Receiver plate – Snap hook style
    • 3 30 round CProducts mags
    • Magpul CTR (black. Borrowing from a friend until the MOE stocks come out or I get too impatient, will order Tan at that point)

I got everything to put the lower together next week with my buddy back in IL while I’m home for spring break. I’m going to use his upper to put a few rounds through it at that point as well (since I know I won’t be able to stare at it for a month while I’m waiting to buy my upper :mamoru:

Here’s the list I’ve got of what I still need to buy (Most of this will be purchased with my tax return unless I decide to build a 10/22 at that point, which if I do I’ll get it all but the upper itself):

• RRA A4 Car Upper Half (possibly with quad rail and flip up front sight gas block)
    • Quad rail hand guard (unless I get it on the upper)
    • Magpul Mil-Spec CTR (Tan)
    • Cheapo Wal-Mart red dot (Till I can afford an Eotech)
    • BUIS of some sort (Rear only, I’ll either use the standard A2 post or the flip up gas block)
    • Magpul XT rail guards (Tan)

Pictars :noes:

Lower (stock pic)
    [​IMG]

Ergo grip
    [​IMG]

Trigger guard, buffer tube, buffer, spring, castle nut, and receiver plate
    [​IMG]

Mags
    [​IMG]

Ammo
    [​IMG]

RRA lower parts kit
    [​IMG]

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Only two boxes of rounds :wtc:

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oops, there looks to be four. I just might be retarded.

4. chakup

chakup Guest

Replace RRA upper with LMT and you're golden! :)

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

:mamoru:

It's just for one range trip anyways...I'll probably buy another box or two before I go though. Wal-Mart only had 4 in stock.

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I haven't committed to an upper yet so I'll check them out. I have another month or so until I'm ready to buy it.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if you want a BUIS, get the troy industries one.

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:greddy:

500rds+ sessions ftw! :o

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Being poor FTL :o

I'll probably do 100 on my own, my buddy will do 100, and I'll do another 2-300 through my G19...Fingers/hand will hurt by the end anyways.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:werd: Ammo is so expensive. :wtc:

11. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Damn all these AR build threads! I've decided to build an AR15, and all these threads keep on having me change my mind on what I really want. I'm turning into a seriously indecisive SOB. :rofl:

12. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I really want to build an AR, but I has no monies and the gf can't find a job.

These threads are like :wtcj: for me.

:hs:

13. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

pimp her out :run:

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

sell nuclear secrets. i hear they're worth a lot.

15. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

We had a Spike's Tactical dude in class in Florida. I'm glad to see you bought their lower. He was cool and he brought a rifle they made to class and it looked well built. Unfortunately it wasn't a rifle class so we didn't get a chance to shoot it. As with all guns the proof is in the function....

16. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

:noes: picked it up 2 hrs ago... Noods tomorrow when i get up, just got into IN so I still have 6.5 hrs to naperville (half hr west of chicago) if i dont pass out when i get home maybe ill take some tonight :o

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

did you get any of the laser engraving options or is it a plain jane lower?

18. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

Its got the bullet pictogram and color fill... No fancy logo, my buddy has one of their infidel lowers and that was the only one i really liked :o i'm probably gonna get someting engraved on the front of the magwell tho... Not sure what tho, i need to look around. I saw one with a skull and cross bones there that lokked pretty :cool:

Lokks just like the stock pic i posted originally, but this one s mine :big grin:

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

if you are looking for custom laser work you can talk to Jon over at Anvil arms, says they can do other places than the side of the mag well.

http://www.anvilarms.com/t-laser_faq.aspx

for 15 bucks the will engrave pretty much anything, if you have an idea of what you want you can email Jon and ask about what he has, there is a thread with some of their work on arfcom

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=244&t=155811

in the FAQ I posted there is a link to company that will take any image you give them and convert it into the proper format for engraving, if you want a truly custom look. I'll let you know how their work is when I get my receiver (probably post a thread about, since someone else was asking about them already), which should be next week :x: receivers should come in on tuesday and then work begins.

I must say I have been impressed with Jon and how quickly he can respond to customer emails. I only hope his work is as good as the customer support.

20. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Awesome thanks for the info man :cool:

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need to replace those folowers, stat. the green followers SUCK. Get some magpul 4-way anti-tilt followers. you can get a 3-pack for like $6. They are worth their weight in gold.

22. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Yea I know, that's on my list but I didn't include it above since it wasn't really part of the gun :o First time I touched the damn thing it almost got stuck on an angle :rofl: I need to order some magpul baseplates so I'll do it at that point.

23. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I have one of their lowers and like it a lot. Real nice finish, and the fit to the upper is sweet too. I plan to buy some more later on.

24. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

[​IMG]

Having a bit of a problem though :o

I dropped the selector detent into its hole and put the grip on, but the damn selector won't move. I took the grip back off and the detent is like wedged into the hole in the lower. I can't get it out :wtc: No idea what the fuck I'm going to do to fix it.

25. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

They're not THAT bad