GUN Building accuracy for pistol shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Admitted, May 5, 2008.

1. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I want to build up my accuracy in pistol shooting. Here is the $300 question.

Is it beneficial to build up accuracy with a .22 pistol and then switch to your carry? Or, should you just practice with what you carry?

I know the basics of shooting and have been shooting irons on rifles since I was 13, so I know all the rules/principles of shooting well with irons.

2. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

How about i propose a 3rd option, a .22 conversion for your carry pistol

CZ, Glock, 1911's offer this

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Practice with the actual gun you want to master. It is popular for people to say practice with a 22 so you can concentrate on mechanics. This only works if you use good mechanics on the 22. Most people don't and all that shooting with the 22 just makes them worse when to use a pistol with more felt recoil. I also think people that shoot too much 22 starting out become more recoil shy.

If you want to shoot better you need to learn the proper mechanics. Fastest and easiest way is to get some training. Make sure to get training from somebody who knows what they are doing and not sime knob who thinks he knows what he's doing. Modern techniques like thumbs forward isoscele, and 6 o'clock holds on target. Then do lots of dry fire practice to develop muscle memory. Learn to see the front sight lift and call your shots.

Competitive shooting in the form of idpa and ipsc also is a good way to develop shooting mechanics. Does not replace training but as far as shoot fast and accurate go it is a fun and quick way to develop the skills.

4. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I think a .22 is a great pistol to start with, but it is very easy to master and be very accurate with :dunno:

I think you should build accuracy in the gun/caliber you carry with...

And also, what do you consider to be "accurate"..

Most people think staying in one spot and putting holes at 25 yards through some paper is accurate, which it is but

I personally think being able to draw/shoot and make good shots at under 10 yards on the move and under duress is accurate to me :dunno:

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Accurate for me is: center mass shots within 2 rings while moving at about 10-15 yards.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

1) front sight
    2) press

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

In USPSA/IPSC that would be alpha's on the move at 10-15 yards. Definately doable. If shooting on the move is your goal I would definately look seriously into USPSA/IPSC. While IDPA is not bad they do not do a lot of shooting on the move. Most of it is from behind cover.

I'm sure somebody is going to argue over the importance of cover. Yes it's important, but you need to get to cover first. I also think it is much more instictive to get behind something, than it is to learn to hit while moving. Plus shooting on the move is fun.