building a website .. need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sinthetiq, Oct 12, 2005.

1. sinthetiq

sinthetiq Anteater Member

hello, i usually consruct webpages using html, and making each page individually. i have the burden to make a website thats going to have a ton of pages. what can i do to make it easier for me to make/edit the pages.. theyre all going to generally have the same layout. im not familiar w/server side scripting or any of that. is that difficult to learn, and where do i start

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You could try a content managment system like Mambo.

3. sinthetiq

how would that work? i've tried mambo, but didnt play around w/the layout. another person made the layout in photoshop and i have to work w/that and make it into a usable site.

is there a way to make the layout/format and then have the actual page call that layout that way if i had to change the layout or format, i could just edit one page instead of a zillion others?

4. chips

chips ...

use php to make a header and a footer and just include it on each page.
    or for a super easy fix make it where all your pages are stored in a database and you edit them via a online tool or just copy and past the code from dreamweaver to your browser and hit submit and it makes the changes

I have somthing setup like this here: http://micor.cc/monolith/dynamic/admin.php
    and it will view the pages by going to http://micor.cc/monolith/dynamic/view.php?id=3

5. sinthetiq

cool, header/footer would be cool, how would i make it call it.

and btw, those links a /404

6. chips

chips ...

yeah I know i fixed em

7. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

Dreamweaver 2004 make a template.

8. sinthetiq

ya.. i can make a template in html. i just want to stick w/that template for the numerous pages on the entire website.

i want to be able to alter that template without having to go through each and every page and editing them.

how will i be able to do that? essentially, i would like to have each page call on the template, rather than having the code on the page

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Yes, you can do that. Mambo is a Content Managment System. It's sole functionality is to manage the content on your website. You can modify any template you want, or you can create your own. You can call certain functions in your HTML file that will call a certain module in Mambo to activate. It's easy to use. Just read the documentation.

10. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

Once you edit the main template page in dreamweaver, it looks for what pages also use that template, and asks you if you would like to update them, you say yes, it updates, then you upload the updated pages.

11. krondo

krondo New Member

screw that dreamweaver nonsense, that's too easy, i'd go with CSS
    have a separate CSS file and that setups your design for every page and then you can just link to it in your header with something like this

<HEAD>
    <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="yourstylesheetlocation.css"></LINK>
    </HEAD>

works charms cause it only takes 1 file, you can set backgrounds and all that great stuff, color, you can even add cool effects to lists and other such things, great tutorials at: http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

12. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

CSS is a given. But the dreamweaver template feature is great for keeping links updated etc. I myself would suggest a Server side scripting language anyway, but if they choose to hard code everything, than using templates will save you gobs of time.