Building a system for CAD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bausk, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I haven't had to build a system this powerful before and I'm looking for some advice on what I should be looking for. The system will be running Unigraphics NX5, Imageware, and ToolDesigner softwares and used for 3d free form modeling and rendering. I want something that I can have multiple windows and programs open on and still running smoothly.

I've been browsing the Siemens UGS website and I can't find a solid area that states system requirements for their software. :hs:

2. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

Quad-Core is a must. Then 4GB of RAM if all the programs you mentioned will run on 64bit.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

get a good CAD video card, skip the geforce and radeon cards and go to the Fire GL from ATI or the Quadro from nVidia.

4. ady

ady New Member

You should try and find a user group or other people that use the software and see how they get on. You will, as DAN513 ,said want a workstation card. Though you will need to find out if there are issues with the software and certain cards.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, get a Matrox Parhelia card. It's specifically designed for CAD/GIS work.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Isn't this a good application for dual quad core processors? And isn't 4GB a little on the low side? Make it 8 for running several of those programs at once.