Building A Server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrmegabyte, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mrmegabyte

mrmegabyte New Member

I have extra parts now for an extra computer and wanted to make a server out of it so i can do a file server, Dev Server - SQL, ASP.net ect. then when at Lans Can possibly be used for a Dedicated Gammig RIG.

The computer as it is now has

AMD X2 2.0GHz
    2 - 4 GB memory
    4 x 320 Raid 5 - Data
    1 x 160 for OS
    DVD Rom

Should I just use strictly as a FS or do VM ware and do all i want, a server for each?

Or any other thoughts and opinons?

2. glamdering

glamdering New Member

for FS get your hands on a older computer and put Linux on it FS doesn't require that much just like max out the ram on a old computer can work wonders for a simple FS some times...in less your looking at making a high performence FS

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Grab a Dell Precision workstation off eBay and put Windows Server or Linux on it. Those machines will run reliably for years with no maintenance at all.

I definitely recommend using VMware to keep those tasks separate from each other, but if you're going to do that well you'll need AMD Athlon64 or Intel Core at least, because older CPUs don't have the extra commands that make VMs run faster.

4. mrmegabyte

mrmegabyte New Member

Thanks,

I just wanted to use it to keep my 600+ gigs off my main PC....so...nothing too powerful.

:)

Thanks

5. mrmegabyte

mrmegabyte New Member

I do also have a 939 Mobo and processor.....what do you think about that one....i do think that one does have Raid Capabilities....hmmm....

6. glamdering

glamdering New Member

you could always have gotten a external HDD for that LOL they have come way down in price

7. deusexaethera

If you set up a RAID, you should either use software RAID (which is slow in Windows, not so slow in Linux) or buy a PCI RAID controller. If you use the onboard RAID controller, you'll get all of the slowness of software RAID (because it will use the main CPU for its calculations) plus none of the modularity of offboard RAID -- at least if the offboard RAID controller dies, you can replace it without trashing the motherboard, and you're a lot more likely to be able to find a spare controller compatible with your array if it's not tied to a specific model of motherboard.

Does that make sense?

8. deusexaethera

Be that as it may, if you do anything more than just fileserving, you'll want more than one CPU. Besides, it's kinda pimp to be able to run [email protected] 24/7.

9. glamdering

glamdering New Member

i would make them both into servers and dedicate them to separate things to maximize your speed ;)

10. deusexaethera

Flexibility > speed, in my book. VMs give you flexibility like nothing else.