Building a new system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Perseverant, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Perseverant

Perseverant Yes I am.

Here's the plan as it stands now: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfr5vpwm_0dg2pnb

Thoughts? Problems?

I'm looking to build a system that I'll be able to overclock fairly well, and that will remain competitive for quite a while.

I haven't decided 100% on the motherboard yet, I want something that will overclock nicely, but isn't lacking in features. Do the gains warrant the expense when going with SLI?

The PSU is another item I'm not certain of, I don't really know for sure how much power I will actually require so I just picked the one that looked most reasonable.

As far as the Hard Drive, I'm torn between buying a Raptor or two and possibly raiding them, or just buying a standard HDD. Anyway opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. thebox

thebox New Member

antec case ftl

get lian-li

as far as HDD goes, seagate series 10 ftw. raptors are overkill and fucking expensive. if you want to spend the money though, the raptor will be a bit faster of course.

PSU is decent. PC P&C would be better :o

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

forget the raptors and just get some sata2 segates.

avoid that psu. uber-shitty company. I'd say fortron for good performance/cost. Enermax, sparkle, and pcp&c also recommended.

You cannot beat an intel board for reliability and stock performance. Only moderate overclocking, however.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Did they change it? It used to be not at all...

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for the last several years their mobos have supported moderate overclocking. They allow you to adjust the multiplier a little bit, and give you decent control over the front side bus. They wouldn't win any oc competitions, but to get a few hundred extra mhz they're fine and they are rock-solid-stable -- which I think is the far more important quality, any way.