Building a new system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by irrompible, Nov 3, 2005.

1. irrompible

irrompible Member

Hey guys, I was hoping you could offer some help in this area. I've been out of the loop for awhile when it comes to building a system and all the technology that has come out since I last built one. The last system I built was an AMD 1800+, who knows how many years ago, it was when the processor was first released.

What I'm looking to build is an AMD Athlon 64 4000+. I'm going to be using 1 gig of PC3200 RAM and one of the ABIT's nForce4 boards. Here's where I start running into problems with the way things are labled now days...

From what I can tell, the AMD 64 4000+ is basically just an FX53 chip. It runs at 200 FSB x 12 multiplier, or 2.4 Ghz. The problem I'm having is it's labled on some sites as having a 800 or 1000Mhz FSB. Where does this number come from?

My next question is, where does DDR2 RAM come into play? I heard that OCz has a new 1000Mhz chip out that only a few mobo's support, but if the FSB on the board is only running at say 200, what's the point of all that extra speed? It used to be that the system couldn't take advantage of it, has this changed since I last looked into it many many years ago?

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

There are a couple different versions of the 4000. I don't believe any of them have a 800FSB though off the top of my head. Where are you seeing this?

Go with an Asus MB and I prefer Corsair memory.

DDR2 is for Intel.

3. irrompible

irrompible Member

Thanks for the reply. Let me see if I can find the pages where I got the FSB info. It's very possible I misread it, but I'll double check.

4. ski

ski New Member

Also check newegg's info pages and reviews, they usually have a lot of informatoin and its (mostly) correct.

5. irrompible

irrompible Member