Building a new system...couple questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Oct 5, 2003.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

First of all, I'm new to the board and love it.

I'm going to be more or less upgrading my pc this month. Currently its a AMD K-7 Ahtlon 800mhz w/ 256mb ram..gigabyte mobo. I will be replacing this with a P4 setup. Only b/c I'm getting a huge deal I can't pass up. Its a 3.0ghz p4 w/ HT, the intel 865gbf mobo and windows xp pro for $199.99. I don't do alot of gaming. Actually hardly any at all. I only play medal of honor, and plan on playing half life 2 when it comes out. I only need to purchase ram. What brands do you recommend. the board will do dual channel ram too. I was thinking of Kingston Hyper X 400 DDR. I want to do a gig of ram. My main question is the mobo. It does both SATA and IDE. I have 2 drives I'm going to use with this computer from the existing one. They are both WD 80 gig 8mb cache drives. Would it be beneficial to go with SATA drives? I heard they weren't that great. Also, how would you rate this mobo. I never really like going with an intel board, but its part of the deal. I won't be using the integrated sound or video. What do you think?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I use the intel boards at work all the time. Very stable and very good customer service if you do ever need it.

3. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

But if you have two drives of the same type using SATA, can't you configure them as a raid array? Giving you quite a performance increase. Also, it's always best to get the fastest you can afford, means you won't have to upgrade till much later on :)

4. affende

affende Guest

i run 512 Corsair XMS pc3200 on MSI mobo, and i love it. just don't skimp on your ram; get what you need and puyt some money into it. 512 is enough for most people (although i just ordered 512 more :bigthumb: ) mine cost 128 www.newegg.com . if you get a gig or ram, i would go with 2 mtched 512 sticks, a little pricey, but good results