WEB building a new site?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by saabguy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

so i'm a loan originator for a mortgage company...not a big national lender, just a local mom & pop shop. we broker loans and also are a licensed mortgage banker. our company does have its own website, but the owner doesn't really do a whole lot with it. i notice a lot of realtors have their information on their agency's website, but also have their own site they use to promote themselves and get more business. so i've been toying with the idea of doing that on my own as well.

i'm close to pulling the trigger on registering a site & building it, but i'm not sure what domain name i should register. a lot of realtors use their own name as the website as a way to build their personal brand. would that be a good thing for me to do as well, or would you suggest a catchier sounding name that would attract a potential customer? any thoughts?

also, i'd welcome any thoughts on how to build/market the site. just to start slowly, it looks like i can register a domain through a place like godaddy.com and i can design it and they'll place it on search engines for a pretty reasonable price. this would be my project 100%, not my company's, so i'd be footing the bill for everything. That's why i was thinking of doing this as kind of a test to see what kind of results i could expect, and then could determine if i need to ramp it up with some kind of google adwords program or not.

halp? :dunno:

2. brds

brds OT Supporter

With an idea like yours, going with the name is probably the most professional thing to do... otherwise, you'll just seem too cheesy. (SoandSoBank.com >>>> WeLoanToAll.com)

Yes, get the domain through godaddy (probably the easiest and fastest way to do it). A couple OTers own webhosting (i wont name any names), but you can host with them for next to nothing.

As for promoting, I have no idea... that's not my cup of tea, but several others on here can probably help you out with that aspect of it.

3. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Your name as the domain is a much more professional solution, and then use decent SEO in your content to get the google hits (if that's what you're after).

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I would also make sure you don't piss off your boss. Let him know what you are doing...so he doesn't think you are creating a side venture that would eventually compete with his business.

Real estate agents are a bit different, as you probably already know, because they work "under" the broker, not "for" the broker. Usually they rent space in the broker office and essentially "rent the right" to sell under the brokers name. They are basically self employed or independant contractors.

Not sure how your profession operates...

It sounds like you aren't looking for something too complex. Use a CMS like Joomla. It is easy to setup and maintain and most host providers will offer one click installs for Joomla making it that much easier for you.

5. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

thanks for the input. i don't think it will piss anyone off because he's really not utilizing any web marketing at all. and i don't think he ever would. he's been urging me to find "what works for me" and run with it. so i don't think our sites would necessarily compete, and if they did, it's only a benefit to him because i'm only getting a cut of what i bring in for revenue (he still gets the lion's share). i'm sure he'd have to sign-off on it at some point, to make sure i'm not damaging the company name by having a bunch of inappropriate things on there. but i want this to be MY thing, and not just let him (and everyone) piggy-back off my marketing by saying "hey, maybe instead of doing that, we can just do a better company one."