Building a new rig in June, which OS should go on it? v.xp/vista,32/64?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex, Mar 14, 2008.

1. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

OK, I'm building a new rig in June. It's going to be my main computer. I want it for watching HD videos from leeched from Newsgroups and for occasional gaming.

I can pretty much pick out the hardware myself, but what should I do about the OS? Should I go with Vista or XP? I have a legal copy of XP Home on this computer. But unfortunately, the disc that I have is one of those manufacturer "use this to wipe your computer" discs. So, I probably will need a new OS disc. Is 32 bit OK? Should I opt for 64 bit?

Should I go with an Academic upgrade of Home Premium and then use this method to install it, or should I look for OEM?

edit
    : I edited out the fact that my friend wants me just to take his copy of "Microsoft.Windows.Vista.Ultimate.x64.Integrated.February.2008.OEM.DVD9-BIE" to prevent people who didn't read the thread from posting that I'm looking for pirated software. On the contrary, if you read the posts, you'll see that I'm looking for somewhere to BUY this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Choosing between XP and Vista is purely preference. Some on here will say that it is stupid to invest in XP right now since Vista is out. As far as 32-bit v 64-bit, the only current advantage to 64-bit is that you get to use more than the 3.2GB RAM limit of 32-bit. Though I see no reason why you would currently need that much memory. The 64-bit drivers still have some bugs but the advantage will be that you have the 64-bit version

Don't do an upgrade, buy the OEM (for system builder's) version while you can. Since you mentioned an "Academic upgrade," are you in college? If so check with your local IT department as you can most likely obtain a full legal copy of Vista (version depends on school) and/or XP Pro.

3. alex

Thank you for you advice, I appreciate it. :bowdown:

And yes, I am in college, but I graduate in May. (Which is why this project is slated for June.) My college doesn't have a designated "computer store", so I'll shoot an e-mail to the IT people and see what they have to say.

Anymore advice anyone?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

looks, feel, security = Vista > XP

but note that Vista has more services and takes up more resources than XP.
    for a shitty machine = XP > Vista

32 bit is just fine.

:nono: about piracy in this sub forum

5. alex

i sent an email to the CTS department, hopefully they can provide the hookup on software.

6. dissonance

It wouldn't be a store. Most people discover the free Microsoft products when they take an MIS class, as you are required to obtain at least 1 of them. But at most colleges, if you are a current student and your university participates in the program, you just need to call up the IT department to get a username/password for the download site. The software is only available for download while you are enrolled in classes but the liscences are valid for the life of the product.

7. alex

sorry about the piracy bit. :hs:

anyway, this won't be a shitty machine. this will be for strong multimedia, as well as intermediate graphics editing, etc. maybe I should go with Vista for this new machine...?

8. alex

My school is a SUNY school, so you think it'd be more up to date on the times...

I was looking at campustech.com and i checked their list of "colleges that have automatic e-validation for microsoft academic software". mine wasn't on the list. does this mean that they probably don't participate in getting me free software? :hs:

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

not a big deal to me.
    just a warning that other members might flame you about it.

btw,... DX10 games = DX10 graphics cards = Vista only
    the DX10 XP hack isn't done yet

Edit: DX10 = DirectX 10

10. alex

yeah, i know about dx10, which was why i'm leaning towards vista. in fact, i'm pretty computer savvy. i graduate college in may... with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. :o

why am i asking all these questions then? well, i never built my own rig before! (blasphemy, i know) I just never had the money. :wtc:

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

well,.. it was never that easy. it's a continuous research because tech changes often.

the specs that you think kicks ass today might be 2nd rate by june.
    new CPUs, vid cards, and mobos will be out by then.

12. alex

a different SUNY school has these prices available for students...

assuming I can get 64-bit Vista Ultimate and 32-bit Vista Business for the same price, which should I go for?

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

as PBSlayer2 says,... don't get Upgrades.
    look for full/oem versions

14. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

seriously, if you have a new PC, just get Vista. i haven't had any problems with it, and SP1 should slightly help the file transfer problems.

32 bit Vista does the job, I don't think most people really need 64 unless you have a lot of RAM

15. jmann

jmann New Member

Is there a reason you can't clone your hard drive from your existing computer and use the clone in your new pc?

16. alex

yes, well, I think so. my current pc is a laptop and has all laptop components. if i clone to a pc, won't that cause problems?

17. jmann

jmann New Member

Well the obvious problem with that is that you would have to buy an enclosure to clone it in the first place, after that I'm not sure what other problems you might have.

18. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

cloning hdds was never a good thing with new builds.
    same thing if you use the recovery disk which is tailored to the old machine.

fresh install is way easier (and better) than wasting time troubleshooting drivers and configuration errors.

19. alex

and it looks like my SUNY school doesn't have the vendor agreement with Microsoft, just SUNY Buffalo. Which means, I don't get Vista Home Premium for $14.95, my student discount gets it for $259.95. :ugh:

20. alex

i agree, especially if i'm going from laptop to desktop. i see lots of problems with that.

21. dissonance

My understanding of the Upgrade to Vista is that it voids the liscence of the OS that is being upgraded from. That 'old' OS is no longer valid to be installed ever again.

Besides that, another reason to not upgrade is that it won't be a nice fresh install. You will have your old OS files, then you upgrade, and are left with more potention for problems and left-over crap.

Vista OEM full version is $100-$180 depending on whether its Home/Business/Ultimate and 32/64-Bit (I don't count Home Basic since Home Premium is only $10 more). Price isn't really too bad considering the total build cost.

22. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You can get an OEM copy cheaper from newegg. You can probably get the retail cheaper than $260 also, that seems high to me.

I built a computer at the end of this past summer and went with Vista 32 bit Ultimate. If I could do it again I'd go with the 64 bit. The driver support isn't nearly as bad as everyone continues to make it out to be. If you buy good current components (especially if you're building yourself) you shouldn't have much trouble, if any at all. In this way you're future-proofed if you wish to add more memory down the road.

I'd also pass on XP. If you're building a computer and only using one operating system I'd build it with Vista. Better to get used to it now than have to upgrade later when MS stops supporting XP. Also, we'll probably start seeing more games using DX10. If you're a gamer, that will become useful. The only real major downfall to Vista is that it's a memory hog. But, memory is cheap..

23. alex

Thanks for links! Yeah, it looks like Vista Home Premium OEM, both 32 and 64 bit are both $99.99 with free shipping.

So, I have a choice to make, 32-bit or 64-bit. :noes: Which one?? :noes:

24. alex

by the looks of reviews and articles from other websites, it appears that unless I need >3 gigs of ram (which I probably don't) then I should stick with 32-bit...

agree?

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:Locked:

such obvious piracy as this should include a ban.