Building a new PC...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, May 11, 2004.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Ok, so since I'm leaving my job I have to give back my loaner PC...

The parts I already have and will likely use in my new machine:
    • DVD Drive
    • CD-RW Drive
    • Sound Card (4 year old soundblaster)
    • Video Card (Radeon 9600 XT)
    • 17" flatscreen Monitor

What I need:
    • Motherboard
    • Processor (at least 3.0ghz)
    • 1GB Memory
    • 2 80GB hard drives (7200RPM at least)
    • Case
    • PowerSupply (if it doesnt come with the case)
    • Neon Light for inside case (if case has window)

Thoughts? Would it be better to build my own, or go with a dell?

2. carlin

carlin Guest

you NEED neon lights ???

as far as buying vs. building is concerned -- it depends how comfortable you are building becuase it doesn't excatly save money...

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

of course you NEED neon lights! they add +5 Coolness and women dig guys with neon lights in their computer... :ugh:

If you know what ur doing, you can usually find good deal from new egg. Building a computer from scratch can be 15-20% cheaper depending on your parts. Just look at http://www.newegg.com

4. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

very comfortable building.

5. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

and btw, no i dont need neon lights, i just think it looks :cool: :fawk:

6. carlin

carlin Guest

then buying dell is a :nono: :)

7. incawarrior

incawarrior New Member

8. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

right now with the weak canadian dollar check out www.ncix.com

they are a canadian company that i trust well and deal with all the time. great rma pollicy, great customer service. They will even price match!

$1 USD = $1.39 CND

9. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

i'd like to at least go with a P4 3.0 ghz proc and a gig of DDR ram...any mobo suggestions?

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Mobo: Asus and Abit are both good bets. I have the Asus A7N8X-X, and I'm impressed with the board, but very, very unimpressed with Asus treating me like shit (so unimpressed that I'll not buy another Asus board).

Processor: I like AMD, so I'd go with an Athlon64/Opteron if you're loaded, or an Athlon XP Barton if you're not loaded. I have the 2500+ and it's nice and quick.

Memory: Just get a good brand, and fast stuff (PC3200). Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin are all good bets.

HD's: Western Digital and Maxtor are both reliable brands. Go with SATA if you can, it's fast.

Case: Antec if you want something purty that comes with a very reliable power supply. You can always cheap out on the case if you want, there are very decent cases for $30 if you don't feel like spending money on it.

11. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

Penguin Man, I like your style. :)

PSUPef2K, is there a particular reason you want to go with P4? I've so far had very good experiences with AMD. The AMD 64s are pretty nice; even if you aren't running a 64 bit OS, you still get the advantage of all that hypertransport stuff. The 64FX and Opterons are a little pricy, but the regular is reasonable. Someone else will have to speak for the P4 side of things.

Serial ATA drives, like the WD 10,000 RPM Raptors, are really sweet, especially if run in RAID 1. I dropped a couple of the 36 GB ones in my current computer, and haven't regretted it. I hear the 72 GB drives are even faster, though the drives are also waaaay more expensive than standard ATA drives. If you do anything that's hard drive intensive, then you'll love the speed.

Like Penguin Man, I'm a fan of Antec cases, though I'm also a fan of the Lian-Li aluminum cases. Neither are the cheapest, but they sure do look purty.

Of course, it all depends on your budget!

12. Stev

Stev Active Member

do u have a price range that we can work with... anything anyone posts is juss bout worthless if we dont know what u wanna spend and what u will be using it for...

13. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

OK, why do you need a 3ghz processor and a gig of ram ??

Thats pretty expensive stuff.

14. incawarrior

incawarrior New Member

15. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

1000-1500 is the range, and it's for gaming and internet surfin. Gaming is the main concern because you can surf the net on anything.

16. Stev

Stev Active Member

hey some people want the biggest and best just to have it and only will type docs and surf ebay.

yea... everything so far looks good. Go Asus mobo, the vid card u have will play any game today without a problem. everything looks good to me from what most the people here have said.

17. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

My suggestion:

• Motherboard - MSI K8T - this is a really popular and solid board. ATA 133, SATA RAID, onboard lan and sound.
    • Processor (at least 3.0ghz) - Athlon 64 3200+ get a thermaltake silent boost i like those for HS/FAN, all copper
    • 1GB Memory - 512x2 OCZ pc3200 DDR 400 (OCZ400512R2 )
    • 2 80GB hard drives - Western Digital 80gig 7200 Serial ATA in Raid-0
    • Case -Antec Super Lanboy, A1 electronics 500w power supply (had an A-1 in my old pc, very impressed. Would prefer a Robanton if they still made it! (got a brand new robanton 500w still sealed in my basement, they went bankrupt ages ago)
    That won't cost too much. Obviously you could get more/ some better components in some areas. I am happy with the component choices as they are all perfectly good

18. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Ok second time i've seen this today.

Raid zero is speed, raid one is mirroring.

Now my recommendations:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.0E
    1GB Corsair PC3200 Mem (dual channel so two 512MB sticks)
    Drives (if you want the best WD Raptors)
    2 - 72GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 or 2 - 120GB Segate Barracuda's 7200rpm in raid 0
    Lian Li case with an Antec PSU

The processor and case are all personal preferences in my mind, i'm big on Intel and Lian Li case wise so that's what I buy.

19. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Aspire and Raidmax both make some very good, very flashy budget cases. They also come with good, solid power supplies. I got a raidmax 420 watt with my case. I replaced it with an $80 420 watt Noisetaker. The only differance that I saw was that the Noisetaker raised my temps by about 5c. The rails were just as solid on the raidmax as they are on the Noisetaker.

As far as RAM goes, I'd suggest sticking to Value RAM. The only reason that you would need to spend twice as much as the normal cost would be if you plan on overclocking. Kingston, Simpletech, Mushkin, Corsair and Crucial are all good brands and they're not overpriced if you buy them online. It should only cost you $180-$200 at the most for a pair of 512mb sticks.

Get a pair of SATA hard drives and run them in RAID 0. A board with RAID doesn't cost much more than one without. If you're going to get two hard drives, anyway, then it's worth a few extra bucks to get SATAs running in RAID 0.

As for the processor/motherboard A64s are the best performers on the market right now. Don't bother getting one of the FX models. One of the original socket 754s is all that you need. You can pick up an A64/motherboard with RAID combo for around $300. You'd end up paying a little more for the "equivalent" p4 motherboard/processor combo anyway.

20. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

What's a good quiet power supply?

21. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Antec makes some nice power supplies.

22. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

23. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

holy shit....

[​IMG]

Configured that at www.abspc.com...

I emailed them to see if they could configure that machine without a vid card (i already have a 9600XT...if they could, i'd order that up just to save me some time. :o

I'm going to look at all those parts on newegg and see how much I could get everything for and compare it to the ABS price...

Thoughts?

24. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

ok so...

$1357 for that configuration from abspc.com...(including shipping)

I priced everything on new egg, but upgraded the memory to kingston hyperx and a better PS also, and also an Abit mobo, and slightly faster processor for < 1000. Same case, slightly smaller HDs (which i might bump back up to 120 since im saving money)...let me know what you think. Also, i wouldn't be doing standard overnite shipping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

EDIT: Changed Powersupply to 400 watts...should I go with a more powerful one running 2 sata drives and that memory or would that be ok? :dunno:

25. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

thanks for everyones help btw