building a new pc with 3.2ghz p4, need mobo suggestion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

i was thinking of going with the Intel D875PBZLK Motherboard ( link: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=717830 ), but that was 2 or 3 months ago and i didnt know if there was anything better out now.

also, i dont really PLAN on overclocking, because this is going to be a pretty quick system reguardless, but ive got 7 or 8 fans in this bitch so how fast, while still running stable, will the processor be able to overclock? 3.2 > 3.5? 3.6? what motherboard will i have to get to allow me to do this, but still have the featuers of the intel?

...and whats the difference between a retail processor and an unboxed / oem processor? im guessing the retail will never have been used, and the unboxed 'may', or most likely, have been used. will that matter much if im just trying to save a buck?

:)

2. UCF Accord

UCF Accord Guest

i personally like Abit motherboards. have never had a problem with them and are very overclocking friendly. no real difference in oem and retail cpu, only the stuff you get with it. retail you normally get heatsink and fan along with a sticker saying "intel inside p4 ht" i doubt you'd be able to overclock the 3.2 much right now tho, because at stock speed it runs pretty close to max thermal temp at full load.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

a retail cpu usually has 3 year warranty while oem has one or less As long as you have good ram you should be able get a pretty decent overclock. and if you are using 7-8 fans you might want to stick that thing in the closet, cause its more than likely going to be loud. I have 3 high speed 120mm fans, and its WAY too loud.

4. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ALWAYS buy retail. 3 year warranty > 90 day warranty!

As for mobo, the D875PBZLK is the best motherboard available for the PGA-478 platform. I'd definitely consider it. Otherwise checkout the D865PERLL.

I like abit boards, but I do *not* recommend them to other people. Abit mobos are notoriously picky and are very tempermental. As where an Intel/MSI/Asus can bet setup in a few minutes, an Abit requires a week of tweaking to get running properly.

I've had a lot of Asus boards go bad, so I try to stay away from em.

When it comes to building an Intel-cpu-powered system, no one beats Intel for motherboards, imo.