Building a new PC - thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by machine, Feb 23, 2010.

1. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

My current rig

Asus P4P800 SE
    Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM x 2
    MP-500 ATX12V 500W ATX
    ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP (512 MB)
    and two hard disks:
    WDC WD800JB-00FMA0 (80GB, IDE) (w/ Windows XP partition)
    Maxtor 6L300R0 (300 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

I want it to be able to handle today's games comfortably. I mainly use my PC to surf the web, listen to music and watch movies, and for schoolwork. No need to have firewire/video editing capabilities, etc.

Any thoughts on what parts I should get to build a PC? And what parts I might be able to keep?

Thanks for your input :)

2. machine

also, my PC right now is loud as hell. I'd like my new one to be a bit more quiet.

3. kimsland

kimsland New Member

:eek3:

?

Um, please keep no parts :rolleyes:

So you want a gaming computer to play the latest games?
    So how much money do you have to spend?
    Computers and internal hardware has changed a lot, especially to keep up with today's games.
    Even just the new video card would be worth more than your full present (very old) system

4. machine

:wtc:

I've spend a bit of time looking at parts, and I now realize just how much I'm in way over my head.

I think I might pick up something from here instead. I can just select one of those PCs to start out, and then tweak it to my liking. I still don't know where to begin though :o

My budget is a bit flexible, but of course I will want to keep costs as low as possible. In no way am I spending more than $2000 on this.

Also, what would be wrong with keeping my 300 GB hard drive (maybe in addition to another?), and maybe the dated DVD burner I have, since I never use it?

5. thekraft

thekraft New Member

The reason that you would want to replace the HD and the DVD burner is because they're both IDE, not SATA. If you buy a new computer, the motherboard might not support IDE.

6. kimsland

kimsland New Member

I think you should not spend any more money on your P4 box, that's supposedly running XP (since its dated around the early XP days)

That package PC idea is possibly your best choice, instead of "building" one.
    The reason why building a PC is possibly not ideal for you, is because
    1. Its more expensive to do this (only because User's often build top quality machines)
    2. Things can go wrong (whereas package deals are fully under hardware warranty)
    3. You then need to buy Windows 7 (generally all OEM computers come with Windows 7)

I wonder if you have tried some of the world recognized brands like Dell; Acer; Asus; HP...
    I tend to like Dell mainly for their online support, and field techs that come to your home for free (as per their standard hardware service) if you have any issues what-so-ever.
    Plus you can "build" your computer online (within limitations)

Maybe you don't like Dell, not a concern. Just look at some of the other leading manufacturers. The good thing about these large computer manufacturers is they always have specials on.
    Like this month only, included 6Gig of Ram instead of 4.
    Things like that ;)

I'll let you into a little secret too. If you good with talking (chatting, or emailing) their sales department (and I think I may be) Then you can get them to throw things in for free, ie An external SATA Hard Drive (that you may need ;))

Anyway, all's I'm saying, is try the big manufacturers first before committing.

Note: A subnote to the "builders" out there.
    I'll admit that if I had up to $2000 to spend I'd likely build my own as well.
    But I don't recommend this unless you have some knowledge before hand.
    Support generally say its easy to build. But you receive all the parts separately, and they all must work together, and sometimes they don't. (ie how many times have "builders" RMA'd parts (it happens)
    Plus, in the end you are the OEM support for your installed Windows on your hardware. There is no one to call for help (except free forums of course)
    Wouldn't be easy just to have a tech come out (next day) and replace any faulty part. And this goes on for a year (minimum) and you can extend it to 2 or 3 years as well.

Anyway, I hope that helps :)

7. machine

Thinking of getting this for $1216:

Intel Core i5 650 Dual Core Processor Clarkdale LGA1156 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading 4MB Cache Retail Box
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heatsink Cooler LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA775 AM2 AM3 W/ 92MM Fan
    ASUS P7H55-M Pro mATX H55 LGA1156 DDR3 PCI-16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 HDMI DVI VGA GBLAN Motherboard
    G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH Ripjaws PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 Core i5 1.65V Memory Kit
    GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB GDDR3 1.998GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I

Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio
    Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan
    Antec power supplies are rated for continuous power
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty*
    LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

Should I pull the trigger? or make some changes? :noes:

8. kimsland

kimsland New Member

i see that listed here:
    pc.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=1D33F158-1B5B-4125-9CB1F9B91CF7648E-2726145
    (You'll have to copy/paste the URL to your browser address bar)

It looks good ;) But you didn't try the leading manufacturer brands?