Building a new PC, check it before I commit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EkriirkE, Oct 1, 2004.

1. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

get SATA for HD?

Not an AMD fan...

3. EkriirkE

is SATA much better than ATA? (besides being $2 cheaper)

I have no preference for Intel/AMD - I'd like to have 64bit, though

4. ToPdAwG2k2

ToPdAwG2k2 ????????

i have the same chip and motherboard and its awsome but, the motherboard doesnt support dual channel. Unless the RAM your getting is cheaper than getting RAM that is not dual channel then go for it or else just look for something else. :bigthumb:

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I got my Ati 9800 Pro 128MB boxed retail for less than $200 (it was CDN $249+15% tax)

So, if you look around hard enough the 9800 pro shouldn't cost you that much. I don't think 256MB on the 9800 Pro is gonna make that much of a difference.

I don't know much more expensive socket 939 proc and mobo is going to cost, but those are AWESOME...

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

There are pros and cons to SATA drive.

The HDs don't share their bandwidth with another drive. With newer HDs, this could happen, with PATA 100MBs link. If you have master and slave, they could've put out more than 100MB/sec worth of load at the same time.

Other than the Seagate ones, all other brands uses a bridge solution. So basically a PATA drive but then a bridge chip that converts it to SATA interface. In reality this doesn't hurt performance (at least not that much nowadays) But if you are gonna get Seagate, then get the SATA ones... They are made for SATA interface.

The only advantage that I can think of with SATA drives is that they are not that popular yet. So, if your mobo dies and you need to save your data. Then you will need some SATA enabled mobo... With PATA, you can easily get a USB to IDE external closure for it...

7. EkriirkE

8. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Looks nice. I've yet to try out a 64-bit processor myself, but I'm sure the 3200+ will deliver in every way you'll need it to.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't much care for that mobo... I'd go with the MSI K8N Neo Platinum... That thing rocks.

Definitely go with serial ata... WD 250GB JD is what I'd recommend. They also have 200JD if you want.

I think Corsiar memory is better than Kingston. It's usually a couple bucks cheaper, too. But can't go wrong with Kingston, either.