building a new home server....what should I use?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nefarious1, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Nefarious1

Nefarious1 Guest

I was running dual Intel P III 600mhz slot 1 processors on an asus board with a ati basic video card, adaptec scsi card, linksys 10/100, plextor 24x cd-rw drive, sony 3.5" drive, and 3 segate hard drives totaling 100gigs.

I just converted it to a normal desktop for my fiancee's parents, so I need to build a replacement.

I use the server for mass storage, streaming of mp3's and video's, and to run small programs.

Obviously with the dated parts in my past server, I haven't kept up with todays parts. What should I look at using? I don't care if it's Intel or AMD.

Thanks

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You don't need an especially powerful processor for most home server applications. As long as it's not handling tons and tons of hits constantly, what you had running before was probably at least powerful enough.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

That box has 6 cpu's though. A lot of the the hardware in there is redundant, psu, controllers...

That's a decent price. But for home use, that's overkill.

Since all you want essentially is just a file server, I would go for one with high network I/O if that's the medium you plan to share your stuff. Get a bunch of them together, RAIN them and you would be set. Although I don't think any home routers/switches support RAIN/trunking/TEAMing. Get the cheapest cpu you can get, get a bunch of ram and a nice raid controller for a raid5 set. It all depends on how much you want to spend. A normal desktop pc will will suffice if there aren't many users.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

6?? ooooh, i must have missed that part, haha. :uh:

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

;) :bigthumb: