Building a new computer... some questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bigsnake, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Trying to piece together a new computer and have some questions. This will be a semi-budget gaming rig but I'd like to be able to run bf2 well on pretty high settings. That's my main goal. Got some questions though...

How do I see how powerfull of a PSU I need? I have a 430w Enermax. Not sure I'd be able to reuse but I'd like to if I can.

SATA-II or SATA-I? I see SATA you can get 10k rpm drives but the data transfer rate on SATA-II is a lot quicker. Please help clear the differences up. I've search online and can't really find anything on the two. Doesn't appear SATA-II is really more expensive either.

How do I tell if I need unbuffered or buffered memory? What about ECC and Voltage for memory?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would stick with higher-capacity SATA-II drives. A 250GB drive is cost-effective. You want unbuffered memory. More compatible, and faster. You do not want ECC. Voltage isn't an option, depending on DDR/DDR2, it's a set-specification.

Probably looking for an AMD A64 3200+, Asus A8N mobo, 1GB Corsair ValueSelect (512MBx2), Seagate 250GB HDD, nVidia GeForce 7600 GPU, NEC DVD+/-RW, etc.

Your enermax PSU is likely sufficient.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to check those parts out online right now.

I haven't looked at CPU, mobo, or video card really yet. Currently on my newegg saved wishlist I have these parts I was looking into... idk, hard to make up my mind on stuff :o Really trying to decide which LCD I want and I'm going to order that first and get it here to use with this comp until I build the new one. Shooting for around middle May to have it done.

HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLA380 (0A31636) 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822145087

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145018

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hitachi drives a junk.

seagate. is what you want,

and you want to run dual channel, which requires 2 sticks (512mb x2)

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

So then this would be a better memory choice?
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

There's a lot of online calculators for power supplies. Just google
    "power supply calculator".
    Your psu will work for one video card, but it won't be enough for an sli, or a crossfire setup.
    Somebody mentioned Seagate, and I'd agree with that 100%. Seagate rules the server market ($1,000 hard drives), and they know how to make a good drive.
    You're talking about an lcd, but crt's still rule the roost when it comes to graphics card performance. Even the highest end lcd has some artifacts here and there. Trails, ghosting, depending on the signal being fed to the monitor.
    I don't know what your video card budget is, but the new 7900 GT cards are smoking fast for around 300 bucks. I just got a pair of eVga superclocked GT cards for an sli setup that I'm putting together. I can't wait!

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Seagates are pieces of shit.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The cheap Seagates I've been hearing about are pieces of shit though.

I can do $300 for a video card.

I want an LCD because I do game, just not a lot. I really need the deskspace and LCD provides. The reviews of the viewsonic up there I posted look both good on newegg and in the reviews from tomshardware.

I really wish I wasn't having to search for a monitor right now because I got a 21" Sony I love but I fucked it up when I moved apartments :wtc:

10. Doc Brown

Viewsonics are awesome, if you're going to do an lcd you can't beat them.

I'm not sure what makes you think Seagate isn't good quality, but I'm guessing it's from just a couple of negative comments in some online sources.... But I would suggest you try to find more info on them, Seagate has a five year warranty on all of their hard drives for a reason.

If you can do 300 for a video card, then I would strongly suggest you check out the 7900 GT cards. You can get them without any overclocking on them for close to the $300 dollar mark, and just overclock them yourself, especially if you go with eVga or Xfx. eVga has a lifetime warranty, i'm not sure about XfX's.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you think seagate is shit, then you are a fucking moron, gtfo.

I just had another maxtor fail on me today... Never had a seagate go bad except a few that were DOA. If it works once, they just keep on working!

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The main reason is all the DOAs I've been hearing about their drives.

It's hard to find good advice about hardware. One person will buy something and have a shitty time with it and that's all you hear about them. Then someone else will get the same item and have no problems and recommends it to everyone... Hard to find which person it the rule and which is the exception.

13. Doc Brown

Right, but by you're own reasoning wouldn't you want to go
    with the drive that has the industries best warranty?

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

unless it craps out on me in a year and I lose all my data... No warranty is going to help me there :dunno:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

with seagates, I've had a few DOA, and none go bad after that.

My experience (at least a thousand seagate sata drives) is that if it works at all, it'll work forever.

16. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Second for the Seagate drives, I work for a refubishing company, I've worked on well over 30,000 PC's in the last few years, Seagates are by far the drives with the lowest failure rate.

17. benson304

benson304 OT Supporter

Western Digital FTW.

Raptor.

18. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I agree with jolly :eek4:

19. Doc Brown

That's a fair point. But as somebody already mentioned, with Seagates if it starts up, it will stay running.
    One other thing. Hard drives are so cheap now compared to the cost of cpu's and graphics cards, that it's fairly cheap to add a backup drive. Use the new synctoy from Microsoft to backup what's important to you, and nothing short of a lightning strike will kill all your data.

20. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

If your getting an lcd try to find the lowest response time possible. I think theres a viewsonic with 3ms response time.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SATA II requires a 64-bit PCI slot, or a PCI-Express slot, to reach its full potential. If you don't have that, SATA I will still do fine. Steer clear of the 10krpm drives unless you need them (most people don't), their bearings tend to wear out faster from the added centrifugal force. Especially if they're mounted vertically.

You're much better off buying multiple GB of RAM instead of a hot-shit hard drive if you want to game, because then you can disable the swap file and you'll only need the hard drive when you're loading a new level.

ECC RAM runs slower than non-ECC RAM because every memory access has to be checked to see if it has the proper number of 1's and 0's in it. Unless you're running a server or a mission-critical data-processing machine, you don't need ECC.

22. deusexaethera

Hitachi and Fujitsu are good drives for laptops, but Seagate is far and away the most reliable drive on the market for desktops (and laptops, if you can find them). They tend to run smaller and slower than other brands, but that's because Seagate would rather sell a long-lasting drive than a hot-shit drive.

23. deusexaethera

That's why you pay attention to what you DON'T hear about. I've never heard (from a respectable source) of a Seagate drive that failed. I've had personal experience with Maxtor and Western Digital drives failing on me.