Building a Media PC, what tuner? ver. noob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Jan 3, 2009.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

So I have some spare parts around and figured for a few hundred I could put together a nice media PC, problem is that I know nothing about the turner aspect.

I want to be able to watch/record two shows at the same coming in from cable and I am not concerned about HD at this time. I saw a few cards that have dual input, but with digital cable from Cox (cable provider) will I have any problems?
    Obviously I would need TV out to watch the recorded videos/tv shows, is S-video good enough? Right now I have an older LCD rear projection tv, so I don't have any HDMI connection or anything and not too concerned about that now either.

Here's what I have that it needs to be compatible with....and will this stuff be good enough?
    Mobo: P5Q Pro
    Vid Card: Radeon HD 4850 512MB, PCI Express
    PSU: Rosewill 750W
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

I'll probably put a 300GB hard drive in, DVD-rw/CD-rw drive, and a simple ATX mid tower case.
    My questions about the setup is should I get 2GB of ram or 4GB? Will this matter much?
    And for the video cards....I already have this one, so I figure I might as well put it in though it might be a little overkill. But then I could play some high quality videos and maybe a game through it too. For the tuners, I already stated my questions but will anything conflict?

If you have a media center PC, what OS and app do you use for it?

Thanks in advance,
    me

2. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

Based on my personal experience with Windows XP MCE and Vista Ultimate, any TV Tuner card from ATI or HAUPPAUGE should do the trick quite nicely.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

recording HD or no? I myself use a Hauppauge HD PVR + Beyond TV and Vista 64-bit Ultimate. Although that is a pricey way to go.

4. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

no HD at this time.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

keep in mind that all of the digital channels are encrypted. you will only be able to get the local ones with a clear qam tuner

only way of getting all your digital channels, is to plug the cable box into the tuner card with svideo or component, then use an ir blaster to have it change the channels. its kinda a piggyback method

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Also remember the Houppage tuners get fucking hot so if your in a small box look at the hdhomerun.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've never had good luck with any tuners except the ones ATi makes. The TV Wonder is a very good product, never had it lock up. They also make the All-In-Wonder, which is a combination video card/TV tuner, if you don't have any slots to spare.

I tried a couple of USB TV tuners, and they didn't work for shit.

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I've always used Hauppauge cards with no problems... I've also tried a pinnacle usb adapter that works OK also, but the software it comes with is pretty crap.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have that, works pretty good. was a small bitch getting it to work with vista media center. keep in mind that it only tunes qam and atsc channels. it has 2 tuners, you can plug an antenna in 1 and cable in the other. i currently have cable plugged in both, because my cable service retransmits the local channels over cable in hi-def. i like using it for the music choice channels

i'm actually switching over to uverse soon, so i will have 2 tuner cards and an hd homerun up for sale on yardsale

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I had one too. Your right. It is a bitch to setup with Vista.