Building a decent/cheap computer... Any suggestions on part selection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illuminum, Jun 24, 2004.

1. illuminum

illuminum New Member

Hey everyone. I'm building a new computer for a family friend of mine. She's pretty much going to be using it for internet surfing, research, and word processing so I don't really need much, but I want to get some quality parts for the computer will last for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what parts I should get?

I'd prefer if it was an intel system since that's what I'm more familiar with.

TIA

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I would go with intel as well - AMD will save you a bit of money on the processor side but they are typically used for gaming - compared to *most* pentiums they run hot as well.

I'd shop at www.newegg.com, you could probably save $20-35 off the system by shopping several different places at www.pricewatch.com but newegg is reliable and their shipping is excellent - worth the extra bucks.

For what she needs you probably want 256mb ram, 60-80gb hd's are pretty cheap now and a processor that runs around 2.0ghz. You're probably looking at <$400 for the system WITHOUT a monitor.

It might even be worth looking at Dell - they have great prices, their machines run super quiet and are known to last a while.

3. illuminum

illuminum New Member

I bought a budget dell or two. I'm really not too happy with them.
    Through Newegg I configured a
    Antec Black case (Power Supple included)
    Intel i865G mobo w/ integrated sound & video card
    Intel P4 2.4 GHz 533 MHz FSB 1MB L2Cache
    Crucial 512 MB DDR400 RAM
    Floppy Drive
    Sony CDR (52x R, 32x RW) / DVD (16x read) combo drive

All for $435.99

Sound good?

4. Stev

Stev Active Member

i dont know what u guys are talking about. I was in teh same situation about a year and half ago and got my g/f

AMD xp2000+
    nforce2 mobo
    desent case
    256mb(later added another stick of 256)

she too juss wants to write papers and talk on IM's.

when you are talking minor and day to day tasks it does not matter which processor you choose... as long as its above 1.3ghz it will be all the same to them.

and as far as lower end systems when price is in mind, AMD > Intel.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

What about a HD? :)

The 1MB cache might be adding a few dollars to your price - check into a 512. Also - for word processing like Steve says 256mb is more than enough ram.