building a computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eWRXshun, Jul 25, 2004.

1. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i want to build a computer within a couple of weeks. i'd like it to have 2 physical hard disks, a dvd burner and a dvd reader. from what i understand each IDE channel can only sustan 2 devices. with 2 IDE channels coming from the mobo, the above devices would fill up each channel. how can i get around this in case i want to add another device at a later date?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There are several options, one being to buy Serial ATA hard drives (and obviously a motherboard that supports Serial ATA).

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

the mobo i'm eyeing supports SATA. is that a completely different connector on the mobo than the IDE pinouts?

4. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

mmk from what i've read now, SATA is a completely different setup than IDE, smaller cable, less power, faster speeds. i'm assuming only one device per SATA channel? does winxp support SATA drives? would i be good putting the 2 HD's on seperate SATA channels and the 2 optical drives on the 2 IDE channels?

5. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

1st gen SATA stuff are on the most parts normal IDE units with differnt connectors, except the WD Raptors and the seagates (native SATA drives), speed difference will be marginal at this point for 7200 RPM SATA 150mb/s transfer rate vs 7200rpm 100mb/s transfer rate (most drives, are ata-100, exception being either seagate or maxtor can't remember but one of them is ata-133) WinXP supports SATA drives to my knowledge but I've always had to use a boot disk to install the "F6-3rd party raid driver" as I use a raid 0 with my sata gear. There are SATA dvd burners, I know Plextor makes one.

Now answering your question if you're using an Intel platform the ICH5R/6R SATA Controller is independent from the PCI bus and thus you'd theoreticaly have more bandwidth availible for whatever you're doing

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

My 1st gen Raptor is 10000 RMP and is much faster then and IDE harddrive. By the way Nortan anti virsus does not agree with those types of harddrive. I had it installed and it just fucked up the computer bad saying something about the harddrive.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

if i have 2 seperate HD's, both SATA, would i set both as masters because they're 2 seperate channels or one master, one slave?

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

as long as they're both on their own channels, you'd set them both as master.

9. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

Some motherboards, usually server boards, offer a 3rd IDE channel. You could look for one of those, but the SATA seems to be the way to go now, its faster than IDE, and I do not think there are any 10k rpm IDE drives out, only SATA, I could be wrong.

Also, what reason do you want a seperate DVD reader from the burner? The burner will also be able to read DVD's.

10. maczter

probably so he can have one drive read A DVD while the other drive copies without having to rip it to the hard drive first (if he gets a dual-layer burner).

i have the same set-up for making back-ups of my CD's for use in the car, but i've yet to burn a single DVD in the thing yet (only CD's).

11. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

so i can burn DVD copies on the fly without having to rip an image to the hard disk, then using the same drive to burn that image.

12. maczter

<======Winnar!!!11 :)

13. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

My Asus P4P800-E Deluxe has 2 IDE Controllers, a 3rd IDE/Raid Controller and 4 Serial ATA Headers. And no there are no 10k IDE drives out, and according to the Western Digital Rep I talked to a while back there are no plans at the moment for a larger than 74 gb raptor at this time.

14. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

one last question..........could i use the IDE/RAID Controller as a regular IDE pinout without having to use a RAID config?

15. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

16. RandomGuy187

RandomGuy187 OT Supporter

you can buy ide controllers that fit in a pci slot.