Building a computer - what hard drive setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rsxm5, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

All right, I work for a computer company, and we are piecing together a semi-high end gaming system. The set up is going to use an Athlong 64, an ASUS A8N-SLI, 1GB of RAM, a DVDRW, and so on. What I'm trying to get feedback on is the hard drive configuration. One technician has proposed that we use the onboard RAID controller, and set up a RAID 5 using 3 80GB or 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB hard drives. Another idea is to do 2 74GB Raptors in a stripe, or use 1 74GB Raptor, and then another 200-300GB WD or Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Drive.

Which drive configuration do you think is going to be the best for a gamin system? Are there any other configurations you could recommend?

2. SumAzunGuy

SumAzunGuy New Member

1 raptor and a 2-300 gig harddrive and slave

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

ideally to take advantage of any speed gains with raid 5 you want more than the bare minimum three drives

I'd probably do one raptor no raid and then two large drives in a mirror configuration.

If you want to go all out do a raid 0+1, 1+0, or 10

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My preference would be the one raptor and mirrored drives. Is there any advantage to a RAID 5 with 3 drives?

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You won't lose as much space doing raid 5 compared to raid 1 but most onboard raid controllers won't allow you to install an OS on the raid 5 array.

You'd need an actual contoller card to pull it off usually with an OS on it.

Look around on google you'll find a lot of good explanations on it.

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Well, we actually have XP Pro on the RAID 5 right now with 3 x 80GB WD800JD drives. It's reasonably quick and I suppose more reliable then a regular stripe. My next question is, how difficult would this sort of a setup be to build in decent quantities, and then to support? How much more effort is involved in loading the computer with XP Home/Pro? If one of the drives fails, how much work is involved in rebuilding the array? And my last question, how difficult would it be to Ghost an image on to the machine (either from another hard drive or over a network using GhostCast)?