Building a Computer.. parts....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by brien4787, Feb 11, 2006.

1. brien4787

brien4787 New Member

I am about to build a budget PC... looking to spend around 600 bucks max.

So far I am pretty sure on most of the parts:

MSI K8N SLI-F nForce4
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241190

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

NEC IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152055

MSI NX6600LE GeForce 6600LE
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321960&affiliate=pricewatch

As far as a harddrive.. I will try to find a cheap 100-200GB 8-16mb buffer...
    Not too sure what case I will get, I might just find a combo at Fry's.
    I will probably start off with about 512mb ram, then upgrade to 1gb shortly after.

What do you all think? Any suggestions?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Looks like good choices to me. MSI makes quality stuff.

Don't cheap out on a hard drive. Spend the extra few dollars to get a Seagate instead of a Maxtor. It won't die.

3. brien4787

brien4787 New Member

maxtor sucks? alright, seagate i guess it is?
    i have been told that western digital sucks too.....

maybe they all suck?

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Seagate is the best. People will argue to death which they feel are best or worst. But most people can come to the conclusion that seagate reliability is well up there. Maxtor has a bad rep as does WD. Many people run these drives in all their computers and have no problems, but I'd rather take a more trusted brand. The cost difference isn't too different to where it's worth downgrading.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The basic deal with hard drives is that almost everybody has seen a WD or a Maxtor that has worked for years and years without any problem, but almost nobody can think of a time they saw a Seagate die. Reliability > *

IBM uses Seagate drives in their huge data vaults. We have one at work. After being on continuously for ten years, then loaded (not carefully) onto a U-Haul and driven from Boston to DC and reinstalled in my office, ONE of the 40 Seagate drives died.

6. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

knock WD all you want but they make the fastest hard drives with the longest warrantys. raptor > all others. Seagate is the way to go for more budget oriented boxes though. I do avoid maxtors like the plague heh.

7. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

A lot of people knock Maxtor but when mine did die (and your will too) they replaced it lickedy split.

8. MrMan

MrMan New Member

You have to understand that people have different experiences with hard drives, but the important thing is data on a hard drive, which is usually worth more than the hard drive itself. So when a hard drive fails, you bet that the person's reaction is "This company" sucks! So you'll hear a lot of this sucks and that sucks. I know Seagate is quiet. Another underrated, but good hard drive company is Samsung (check out the newegg reviews). In fact, Samsung already developed a hard drive based on flash drive (thumb drive, usb drive) technology, which means, no moving parts!

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Seagate's 5 year warranty (No questions asked) > *

RMA is simple and easy with them. Even without advance replacement, in Canada it took us 5 days (from time of call Monday morning) we had a replacement drive Friday noon.