Building a computer and wanting to acquire these parts:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RalphL, Feb 17, 2005.

1. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

this case:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-124-111&depa=1
    I hear good things about enermax PSU's

this mother board:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-485&depa=1
    -or-
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-274&depa=1

This hard drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-040&depa=1

I'm not going to be using this computer for games too much. i just want my own computer.

Edit* Is it true that you can only use S-ATA if you are going to do a RAID configuration.

Also keep in mind that i dont have a job so try not to recomend the most expensive parts.

2. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

pretty nice price on the case, especially considering the PSU in it probably runs about that much

i dunno about the motherboard, never heard of an ATi chipset, and in general ATi is not batting 1000 these days
    it is cheap though, but you dont wanna skimp on the mobo
    id reccomend this one, it is a little pricey, but youll go a long way with it

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-487&depa=1

maybe someone else can reccomend a better board for a non-gamer on a budget

hard drive is a good one, but its usually not too much more to go for 120gb or so
    it is not true that SATA is only for RAID. SATA is definitely the way to go these days.
    you still need:
    processor
    RAM
    sound card - could just go with onboard though
    dvd-rom, dvd-RW, whatever you want in the way of those drives
    vid card
    floppy
    cables
    keyboard, mouse and monitor if you dont have other ones you plan to use

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ATi teamed up with ALi to create their chipset, and anyone that knows anything about chipsets knows that ALi is the *WORST PILE OF CRAP EVERY*. Serously, I could take a shit in your mouth and it would make a more stable computer than an ALi chipset. Initial reports show this chipset to be somewhat-decent, but I would highly recommend you stick with what we know works -- MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

4. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

The MSI is a bit expensive. I don't have a job and money won't come easy for me. I want to spend ~$90 on a mother board.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Actually, the old model ATi chipsets are finicky with RAM, but the new ones are great, such as the Radeon XPress.

I trust ATi 100% with that stuff. The old chipsets are worth about 50% to me.

7. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

no

8. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

dont go with MSI, they have issues with stuff failing right out of the box

this is what i have and it flies with no worries
    ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 PRO 939 ATX
    CPU AMD 64 3500+ ATHLON 64 939P RT

both gotten from newegg

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are basing what you say off of ONE abit unit? Abit makes good boards, but they are probably the most picky out-of-box. MSI has a proven track record.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Hell, I have never even USED an Abit and I know how finicky they are just by browsing tech forums, and looking at RAM reviews on Newegg.

I can't wait for my Chaintech to come in the mail :).

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Dying right out of the box isn't really a brand problem (most of the time)...it happens to ALL delicate electronics. I love Abit...but my first mobo from them was bad, I LOOOOVVVEEEE OCZ, again first kit of RAM i got from them errored like mad in memtest. RMA's fixed both of them.

The new Abit 3rd-eye looks pretty kewl, i believe it's a Via powered board though (i hate Via). If you can find a good nf$ board with PCI-E i'd buy that...cuz i like NF2/3/4.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

quite wrong.

i have owned i think 3 Via chipsets and have had 0% overclocking luck and 0% normal usage. One was a Soyo KT-333 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition mobo and the other was a K7S5a (i think thats the name) and it was also a Via KT-333 which sucked massively. The ECS was a budget//cheap mobo...so yah know not too dissapointed. The Soyo was a beautiful board, sucked for overclockign and had problems even running 24/7 idle...advertised for overclockign but performed none. I also had a Gigabyte KT-400 board but i cant remember the name of it...it had a gold NB cooler and was very colorful board. had lots of issues with this mobo right out of the box and i returned it.

I however have owned 2 NF2 mobos (EPOX 8RDA3+ rev 1.1 and Abit NF7-S V.2.0) and these BY FAR are better than my KT-333 boards. They were less expensive than my Via's i purchased and did lightyears better. I have talked to people who have KT600 boards as well and from what i gather the NF2 was the dominator of the XP line of chips. They give absolutely awesoem overclocks and seem to be alot more stable (overclocked or not)

So no...i am not a little fanboy who bases my opinion on other peopls rants. i have my own extensive personal experiences over the years and i use that as my basis for now. Via has been absolute crap for me so far...i would be a fool to start praising them and saying what i trusted and did me well for so long is now not good anymore. sure i'll try a Via KT800 or something new...but it would be a friends board before i bought one of my own...to make sure im not wasting my money. it's the only logical thing to do.

other people have had lots of luck with Via KT-### boards...i have not.

13. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

no. the company i work for uses abit, (used to use asus), msi, and intel depending on whats getting built, iv had to send back more MSI's then all of them cuz they were f'ed up out of the box

14. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

finiky maybe so, quality product, yes

15. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

:ughwerd: Soyo/Via based things suck donkey choads. I had a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon PLUS! board with a Via KT266A chipset.

The box should have said:

Sucks. Massive. Balls.

It died only a few months after I got it...The northbridge fucked out.

I then bought an ASRock with a SiS 748 chipset, and now that is dead too!

Worse, my dual CPU board is dead, the Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P with the AMD 762MPX chipset. Great board, but it began to bluescreen like a bitch.

My current board? It's the FIC VA-503+ with the Via MVP3 chipset. Great chipset, but it sucked for five years (Literally!) until they fixed it's AGP/USB drivers!

I'm running a mobile K6-2 450 @500, with 100x5 and 2.3 VCore (2.1 stock).

THIS MOBO IS A FUCKING BEAST. It's so stable, it's not even funny. On top of that, the thing is FUCKING FAST, and EVERY DOCUMENTED FEATURE WORKS JUST HOW IT SHOULD! It's 100% A-1 super!

It was the must have Socket 7 board for overclocking back in the day, and with good reason.

I love FIC. My next board will definitely be from them.

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

MY older HP (P3-E 600MHz, great overclocking chip) uses an FIC KZM-6120 (i440BX). It's a pretty stable machine, been running for years. But unfortunately no overclocking lol...its totally featureless. I tried reprogramming the IC's with some program and it totally messed up the PC. But with a 600-E core and 512MB Kingston PC-100 i think it could do ~900MHz like some of the other P3's...just need the right mobo. This is the only FIC i've ever owned (beesides my 9200 videocard) and it works pretty good.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's more of a Soyo problem than a Via problem.... Although the nVidia chipsets are better than the via counterparts, for sure.

18. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

That's the thing about FIC's products: They can take a licking and keep on ticking. Their stuff lasts for a lifetime.

Also, that board has no OCing features because it's an OEM for an HP. Sometimes it's disabled on a hardware level, other times it's done via the BIOS.

GO FIC!

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:ugh2:

20. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Damn, dude! I have no clue what you are smoking...Read the reviews of their boards, especially this one. The VA-503+ Rev. 1.0 wasn't that great, but the 1.1 and 1.2's are the best (I have a 1.2A, w00t!).

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Prolly a derivative of what you're smoking... most of your opinions are based off a very small sample, and your conclusions are often laughable.

The notion that FIC is anything good is rather comical, indeed.

MSI/Asus/Intel are the 3 mainstream-reliable brands (in no particular order).

Abit comes into play as a great performer, but I do not recommend them outside specialty situations where tuning is more important than out-of-box-reliability.

There are a few others, but they are almost never worth mention except in specialty circumstances... If you have an application, then take a glance at the three that I mention as the "mainstream"... Unless you have a compelling reason to go with something else, then you should think twice.

Please note that ECS, Gigabyte, Aopen, Biostar, Chaintec, Foxxconn, Epox, pcchips, soltek, and Soyo do not make my list on anything above the "crap" level.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

You are saying old facts mean absolutely nothing to new ones? Facts are facts as far as i'm concerned with computer hardware...i tried 3 Via bords (Soyo, ECS, Gigabyte) and all of them sucked. i would be a fool to automatically assume the new Via's are rock solid when there older hardware was absolute crap (it WAS crap and it STILL is crap today). Now, like you said, the KT800 seems to be doing pretty well comapred to the NF3 (i'd still rather have an NF3), but the KT333/400/600 sucked ballz...so yes i am skeptical about rushing into the new KT800. i had luck with the NF2 from day 1 (years ago) and i would very easily buy a new NF3/4. i don't see how this is not logical...i'm not going to jsut FORGET my problems with Via based on ONE good experience, when i has several bad experiences with them in the past.

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Epox 8RDA3+ was one of the best NF2 board when it came out...it was only really surpassed in performance with the Abit NF7-S and the sketchy DFI Lanparty B board. I still use it today to foverclocking because it has BETTER voltage options than my NF7-S and i like the BIOS too. The rest u mentioned i wouldn't buy though...they seem like "off brands"

MY FIC 9200 64MB 128-bit videocard is absolute crap other than looks. it doesn't overclock 5MHz (core or memory) even with aftermarket cooling and tweaks. For $45 it was a good buy for stock...but i'd rather have my MX-440 card back, did 350/500 on stock cooler.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

There are exceptions to every rule. However, on-average, Epox products are crap. Although the board you reference was indeed decent.

25. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

it's still a crappy Via product, and it sucked...that's my point. I'm not saying that Via STILL sucks...im saying they DID suck and THAT will FOREVER effect my choice to go with them again.

And i don't see what you are saying. How is it an OPINION that the KT333 sucked...you admit yourself it had problems. So you are saying New Fact > Old Fact? Again...my point is Via sucked with its KT333 (which you agree too i think) and therefore i am not 100% confident that i would buy them again without first thoroughly researching there new chipsets and checking for improvements.

Lets use your car analogy. Yout 1977 Ford car had horrible frame cracking problems, and now its 2005 and your lookign for a car. Would you buy a Ford knowing that your frist Ford had problems without ANY research? No...you would find out if they still have the problems and if you can trust it. You see the 2005 Mustang is rock solid and you buy it...because Ford has come a long way in its car designs. Sound resonbile? I had stability problems with my KT333...so i am OBVIOUSLY skeptical of there chipsets still. I do a little research and see the KT800 is doing pretty well for itself and (like you said) it is nothing like the old KT333.