Building a comp: new to this!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rawrsome, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

Building a Fast One....

OK, i have never built one before. So that said, here are the parts I have found so far. What else do I need/want to make this comp run awesome. I want it to be faster and look nicer than my one month old alienware, so it could take some doing!

Mother Board: ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 Deluxe Retail [NewEgg]

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz / 512K Cache / 800MHz FSB / Socket 478 / HyperThreading / Processor with Fan [TigerDirect]

Heatsink: Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462 & 754 and Intel Socket 478

Case: Chieftec Matrix Series Carbon Black Full-Tower ATX Case with Clear Side and Fan [TigerDirect]

Power Supply: Powmax Black 500 Watt Aluminum Dual Fan Power Supply with LED Lights [TigerDirect]

HD: Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive OEM [NewEgg]

HD: WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY [NewEgg]

CD-RW/DVD Drive: Artec Black 52x24x52x Internal IDE CD-RW with Nero Software [TigerDirect]

DVD Drive: Artec Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM Drive with Power DVD Software [TigerDirect]

Video Card: Albatron GeForceFX 5600 256MB AGP8X with TV Out & DVI VideoCard [TigerDirect]

Memory: Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory 2-Pack 1024MB Total [TigerDirect]

SoundCard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card [TigerDirect]

Memory Cooling: [2] Ultra Memory Aluminum Cooler (DDR or SDRAM) BLACK [TigerDirect]

Case Cooling: [2] Coolmax 4 LED Ball Bearing Blue Case Fan 80MM [TigerDirect]

Case Lighting: Ultra Blue 12" Cold Cathode Light Kit

Suggestions/Advice is welcome from all!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  2. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

just list the parts - almost if not ALL of your links are borked.

3. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

damnit! that just happened thenn cuase i was fine for a long time after i posted it... arghhhh

4. kevinj

kevinj Guest

**Waiting for the list of parts**

5. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

oh noes, someone with my name! arrggh.

I'm waiting for the parts list as well

6. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

sorry bout that.. there they are...

7. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

interestinhg.. now that the parts are there..lol.. no posts!

8. FurY

FurY Fortune favors the bold... OT Supporter

From the looks of it, you've got yourself a nice system. That should give your alienware a run for it's money (and for a HELL of a lot less money as well). I wouldn't change/add anything to your list as it currently stands (well maybe except for the fact that it's a Intel system and not AMD :rolleyes: )

9. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

lol. true. So you prefer AMD onbviously. Can i ask why AMD over Intel?

10. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

.....?

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

TigerDirect .... :ugh: How about newegg or another trusted vendor?

If you have money to burn, Intel is always the way to go. If you're cost conscious, AMD will be your best bet. As far as other components I would change, I would get a Samsung DVD/CDRW combo drive (quieter, less cabling, etc), I would ditch the SB Live and get a Turtle Beach Voyetra, lose the WD harddrive because they are too noisy for me, and go with either a Seagate or a Samsung Spinpoint. Oh and 4 80mm fans is way too much cooling. You would be shocked with how little cooling you can get away with. Study how Dell designs their systems and you'll see what I mean. Even their hottest running P4s have a shockingly small amount of cooling.

Oh, I totally forgot, you need a good heatsink. Thermalright SLK900 + Panaflo L1A 80mm + zalman fanmate. Or a zalman 7000alcu. Either one is a good bet.

Edit: and I recommend Antec 3700BQE case. It has all the cooling you need, plus a strong, quiet power supply, and it's only like $80 after shipping. You will enjoy that alot more than a noisy ass powersupply and fan set up like you'd previously picked out.

12. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

newegg.. people keep suggesting that,.. but is there a problem with tiger? I just foudn the parts hteir very easily.. and newegg is a pain to navigate.

13. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I think Tiger has their P4 CPUs on sale, so that's good obviously, but their product selection and prices on damned near everything else are horrible. With Newegg, it's hard to go wrong. They also have extensive customer reviews on their products, so you can see what people like and don't like (although that isn't always as helpful as it might seem)

14. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

new egg all the way. I just put together my new rig and got almost all of my parts from them

3ghz p4 @ 3.4ghz
    asus mobo p4p800 deluxe
    2x256 corsair ram ddr 3200
    9800 pro
    120gb seagate

15. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Change the mobo to the Asus P4C800E Deluxe
    Change the hard drive to something SATA
    Change the video card to an ATI9600XT or Pro

Just my suggestions, chip is a good chip though I have the 2.8 currently.

16. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

17. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

That 5600 Video card is suppose to be not so hot.. It actually runs slower than GeForces TI4400..

Just my suggestion

18. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

"Change the mobo to the Asus P4C800E Deluxe
    Change the hard drive to something SATA"

Any reason why I would do this?

I am looking at newegg alot now..thanx for the info ghetto91....

Why can't I find it on Newegg: "Thermalright SLK900 + Panaflo L1A 80mm + zalman fanmate. Or a zalman 7000alcu."

19. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:ugh: Dude you can bearly handle typing anything vaguely resembling english, I think you should just by a Dell... But I'll humor you and answer your questions.

You want a SATA drive because it's faster, and that's what motherboards are moving to.

Here is the Thermalright heatsink (its the SLK800, not 900, my bad)

Here is the Panasonic Panaflo fan you want to stick on it

And here is a Zalman Fanmate which lets you crank down the voltage on the fan to make it quieter, you may or may not want that, but it's really cool in my opinion.

However I recommend the Zalman 7000AlCu to you, because it's cheaper and like 95% as good as the Thermalright + Panaflo.

Also, this is the hard drive I recommend, even though alot of people will say it sucks. The parts I recommend are sort of biased towards ergonomics and other considerations rather than flat out performance, and I know that doesn't sit well with alot of people. But it's kind of hard to use your new bad ass rig when it's so loud you can't hear yourself think ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2003
  20. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You should just pay me to build and ship your system to you :wtc:

I will build you the best rig EVER for a flat fee of $100 :wtc:

21. TenzoR

TenzoR She is hot hot hot

i'll do it for $50 :hs:

22. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

wow.. good prices..... so this includes u buying the parts right ;)

23. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

"I think you should just by a Dell" Now that is just plain insulting. The reason for my typing is I pretty much live at a warez forum helping out. 80,000+members who can't type rubs off on you I guess. Although you seem to not have the problem even with being here alot, and I am sure this has just as many users. HMM, I blame bad parenting.

24. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

By the way; I do appreciate the advice. Helping out a great deal. I updated the parts list. Is this looking better?

25. Umpa Lumpa

Umpa Lumpa The Asian Invasion!!

how is your system coming along?