Building a 2nd Comp - Come take a look

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illskills719, Feb 13, 2005.

1. illskills719

illskills719 Im lost.

Well This is another comp im building, now this one is on a low budget (under 700) so i came up with this.. Comments Reviews whatever you want I need feedback

MotherBoard EPoX "EP-8RDA3IPRO" NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-234&depa=0

Processor AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 55W 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-506&depa=0

RAM Mushkin 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Model 991366 - Retail http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-375&depa=1

Harddrive Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80, OEM http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-049&depa=0 CD/DVD

Floppy(BLACK) NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive, OEM http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=21-152-005&depa=1

Tower Rosewill Value Series Black ATX Mid-Tower Super Case with 350W

Power Supply, Model "R103A" -RETAIL http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-147-010&depa=0

Keyboard/Mouse Logitech Internet Pro Desktop Keyboard and Mouse BLACK - OEM http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-126-152&depa=0

Monitor SAMSUNG SyncMaster 790df (Black) 17" CRT MONITOR - RETAIL http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-155-031&depa=0

Speakers Creative SBS270 2.0 Speakers -RETAIL http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=36-116-123&DEPA=0

I did not put a CD DVD yet because im not sure if he wants a DVD RW or whatever... and also the monitor was requested not be an LCD, and keyboard + mouse was requested not to be wireless

once again this is an average user, not a gamer

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

eww

epox? yuck

s462? no thanks.

mushkin? wow, you're batting 1000 on the crap-scale.

Hitachi hdd? Jeez.

Rosewell case? OMG

Rosewell PSU? LOL

Please never touch a computer again...

3. illskills719

illskills719 Im lost.

actually i changed hd to a WD 80 gig, um if everything is so whatever what do u recommend then.....keeping in mind a 700$ budget?

4. illskills719

illskills719 Im lost.

i had also changed the Ram to Corsair Value Select Dual Kits (256 x 2) pc 3200 i had forgotten to update the list my bad.whats wrong with the epox?

5. illskills719

illskills719 Im lost.

what is an S462
    what the hell are u criticizing one thing twice for the (rosewill case)
    included is a power supply, but as i said before i forgot to update, im probably going to use that case unless u can find a better one with a low budget but replace the power supply with this one that someone else had shown me before. .. the MGE Vigor 400W Power Supply...

would you recommend thsi board instead?

Soltek "SL-75FRN2-RL" nForce2 Ultra 400

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, I would not recommend that board.

Grab an MSI motherboard.

S462 = Socket 462 a.k.a. Socket "A" a.k.a. Athlon / Athlon XP

I'd do an MSI K8N Neo, an Athlon 64 3000+, 1x512MB Corsair DDR-400, Seagate 80GB SATA, Antec Sonata,

7. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I have used epox boards for years now, and as far as stability, and overclocking ability, they are #1. MSI overclocking features are some of the worst. my first motherboard was an MSI board, and I had to send it back twice for a dead southbridge.

I am on my third epox board, and all of them have done me well.

anyway.

2500 barton = good

epox nforce 2 board = good

i would get corsair ram (1gb if you can afford it), and if you are going to overclock at all, get XMS corsair ram

hard drives are so cheap now, you can get a 200-250gb drive for less than $150. I would not get an SATA drive unless you are using a raptor and/or raid. But if you get a large WD SE (8mb cache drive) in IDE form, then later you can upgrade and run dual raptors on your sata channels.

case. I suggest only one kind of case to people now. Lian Li. You can spend $50 to $300 on them, and at every price level, they are GREAT cases. I have used antec, chieftec, lian li, offbrand, etc cases, and I will never go to another brand after using lian li. everything just goes together perfectly. there are no rattles, they weigh a whole lot less, they are not cheap and plastic looking. but you can get a mid tower lian li case on newegg, or pick one up on ebay. (my brother got his PC-70 full tower for just over $100 on ebay, and it was new in box)

power supply. fortron, or enermax. just make sure you get at least a 400-450 watt.

floppy drive...they are all the same

mouse/keyboard. get whatever you prefer

monitor. you can get 21" dell/sony trinitron monitors on ebay for $120-150 in grade A condition (basically new, fully tested and working, but labeled refurbished) or you can get a 19" dell/sony trinitron for around $100.

speakers = get the best you can afford. logitec or klipsch, but preferable a klipsch 2.1 system.

8. Luni420

Luni420 Boost Addict

OMG.

Hitachi/IBM drives are some of the fastest nicest drives out there (stop thinking in the deskstar IDE days where they died alot)

Mushkin is also some of the nicer ram on the market.

I dont like Epox motherboards but I cant say they are bad, most of the time the motherboard isnt the factor, its the chipset, and if its Nforce2 its a good chipset.

System sounds decent to me. Id go with a gigabyte, asus, abit, or MSI before Id get a epox but hey, get whatever you are comfortable with.

9. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

You are such an asshole. Every part he has on there is decent to high quality, besides the HDD. All you ever do is throw around insults on here, and I am totally sick of it. You make the entire Computing forum drop in quality by at least 200 percent.

You should really stop posting your non-informative biased shit here. Try to find me ONE person on this forum who says Mushkin is crap. I dare you. You will not succeed.

Listen: We all can't afford the best shit, unlike you. You should try walking in other people's shoes.

FYI: When you are 16 and unemployed like I am, you have to compromise. The only time I have ever gotten everything I needed at once was with my MGE case; I got a great PSU and a very well built case, and those are the highest quality parts I own, besides my motherboard and my monitor.

Also, I have had problems with Crucial that other people have had too: Remember that batch of 512MB PC2100 RAM they made a few years back that everyone on Newegg complained about? They died prematurely; mine is only about 1.5 years old and it shitted out on me. BSOD Du Jour. I have a lifetime warranty, so at least I don't have to pay a cent for a new module. I've never heard of Mushkin RAM doing that.

Try helping people out, instead of pissing everyone off. I'm thinking of reporting you to the super mods...I'm getting really sick of your uber-insulting and negative posts. Fortunately for you, I am a patient person.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I answer a LOT of the questions here. So piss off with that drop in quality crap.

Is mushkin crap? okay, it's not crap... but it's a ripoff. Get corsair. It's cheaper, and everyone agrees it's *better* :mamoru:

All of my recommendations are VERY cost-effective. For example, the Corsair memory I would recommend is LESS expensive than that mushkin shit.

you can compromise if you want, but it's not gonna be a very good system. Computers are like cars -- if you buy a dodge neon, it's never gonna be a viper. Now, there's a HUGE difference there ($20k vs. 80k) But if you save up an extra $5k you can get a Mustang GT, and then you have a decently fast car. Not the greatest, but a heck of a lot better than a neon. See what I'm saying??? So you may not have enough money for a good system this week (only a crappy one) but if you wait just a couple more weeks then you could do it right -- the first time. The difference between a crappy system and a good system is not that much money... And the difference in longevity is over a year. So spend slightly more now, and you have a system that may last you 3 years instead of 1.

Mushkin has a pretty bad failure rate. It's around 5% last time I heard. To me, that's simply too high. It is also over-priced and under-performs. Corsair, on the other hand, sports a great price, and is consistantly heralded as some of the best memory on the market. My failure rate due to bad sticks is probably 1 or 2 sticks in tens of thousands. I NEVER recommend crucial. Show me ONE thread where I recommend crucial??? I actually DETEST crucial and am usually public about that fact.

I do recall 2 other threads where all you did was argue me and ended up losing. I know what I am talking about. I am wrong sometimes -- everyone is. But my time here is not free. If someone asks for advice on a system and they're using all the wrong parts, I'll tell them, and give them a few tidbits to go off of. You call it being negative, but if you actually LISTEN to my advice, you'll probably realize that I recommend BETTER systems for the same or LESS money. In rare cases (where they budgedted for REALLY crappy parts) then it's a few bucks more -- but only when their budgets were unrealistic considering their goals.

11. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Alright, I'm sorry about all this, man. I took you the wrong way. Truce?

12. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

lmao, that was hilarious :rofl:

13. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I hope you are kidding because in my book you are right and he is wrong. You can't just go off touting biased insults at people -- it's lame. jolly, from what I understand you run your own business, I'd expect that you wouldn't talk to your customers that way -- why do it here?

I don't have anything against people giving their opinions or disagreeing but you always go off on a tangent and although it's humerous to read sometimes it makes me think that the original poster (or whomever you are replying to) will be less likely to ask a question here again. Keep that shit in the off topic forum.

FreeSpace -- you have nothing to apologize for IMO.

:wavey:

14. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

There is a reason no one is refuting my post, because if you do what I say, whoever you build it for will be happy with it.

Or, just let the bitch buy a dell.

15. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

"Hallo! My naem is Steve, WELLCOUM TO DELLLLLLLLL!"

"Um, yeah. My power supply seems to have fucked out. Could you guys send me a new one?"

"Yu neeeed a booootdisk froum booooootdisk.colm."

"Fuck you guys...I hate this outsourced bullshit."

Don't buy a Dell, just for that reason. Fuck 'em!

Also, go here:

www.ihatedell.net

You will see my point when you read the horror stories there.

16. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

And you bitched about jollyogre's response... At least his made sense and is correct unlike the babble you typed.

17. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Haha so true. I spent half an hour on the phone with "Patrick" on behalf of a customer and he had me flipping the voltage switch, unplugging the ribbon cables, etc. when I told him up front we either had a dead power supply or motherboard. (The mobo standby LED lit but that was it)