building 5 budget machines v.anotherratethisbuild

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, May 6, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

building 5 budget machines.....core2 vs pentium dual? v.anotherratethisbuild

building 5 machines for a business replacing old Celerons and P4's.

Here's what I'm about to order....I'm sort of having second thoughts on that cpu though. Normally I would push to at least use a core2 w/ ddr2 8500, but when you're doing 5 it's a little bit more of a price jump

What's OT think :dunno:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

If it's for a business, why not buy something nice, preferably prebuilt, use it as a tax write off? :dunno:

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

bc the owner isn't tech savvy and he's a cheap ass (like me :coolugh:). If I told them they really needed more expensive machines and explain why he'd probably spend more, but I don't think a quad core/ddr3 machine is really necessary to run MS Office, UPS worldship, check email, occasionally browse the web etc. :o. What exactly do you mean by nice?

Why buy prebuilt? I worked there for 5 years....and when we moved into their new building and upgraded all the machines he got all new Dell's, except for mine. I told him I'd take the money they were going to spend on my dell and build my own. Guess which machine was by far the fastest computer in the building (even to this day :mamoru:). Since then, anytime they need a computer they've asked me to built it. Show me where to find a comparable pre-built computer for ~ $250 and I'll order them instead....would save me a couple hours next week mounting mobos/heatsinks/etc anyway

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

basically my question is, the only difference between the core 2 duo and Pentium Dual core chips is lower bus speeds and lower cache, correct?

2.8GHz/1066MHz/3MB cache <-- would cost about 100% more (factoring in faster RAM price) than --> 2.5GHz/800MHz FSB/2MB cache

I highly doubt there'd be anywhere close to 100% performance increase, but I'm wondering just how much of a performance difference there'd be between the two.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

depends on the app
    performance diff is minimal,.. around 3%

no sense picking the E5300 over the E5200

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

but clock speed is the only difference between those two, that's pretty easy to compare.

I'm comparing the E5200 vs the E7400 (along w/ a ram upgrade to support the FSB)

how much of a difference is 1066MHz FSB/3MB cache (E7400) going to make over a chip w/ 800MHz FSB/2MB cache (E5200)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick w/ the E5200 for these, but still curious how much the performance difference between the two (E5200 and E7400)

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i was pointing out that you picked the E5300 on your list :hsugh:

the diff i mentioned are for the bus speeds (800Mhz vs 1066Mhz) and L2 cache

obviously,... the e7400 is faster mainly because it is operating at a higher frequency.
    at the same clock speeds,.. again, the diff will be 0%-3%, depending on the app. barely noticeable.

ddr2-800 is plenty fast for those cpus
    intel uses a quad pumped fsb (4 times the data per clock cycle)
    ram is double pumped
    E5200 = 800Mhz FSB / 4 = 200MHz
    E7400 = 1066Mhz FSB / 4 = 266Mhz
    DDR2-800 = 800Mhz / 2 = 400MHz
    read: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=102876810&postcount=45

ddr2-800 has the best prices though because of deals and rebates so there's no sense in buying the lower ram.
    you will only need ram above ddr2-800 if your cpu's fsb is above 1600Mhz (or 400Mhz)

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Your cost-cutter custom machine doesn't come with 3 years of next-business-day on-site service included in the price tag. I dunno about you, but my experience has been that somewhere around the third time I have to service my machine during work hours -- for any reason at all -- the boss starts to get pissed. Sure I can fix it, but that's not what he's paying me for.

9. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

What are you doing for power supplies?