Build that isn't power hungry and hot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

I know you all sackride the 8800 cards to no end and Amazon has the PNY 8800GT for $160 right now. My concern is how ungodly much power are they going to require (2 - no SLI for now)? Also seems like the neweggers are bitching about them running hot. Are the fans shitty enough to have to babysit them during even light gaming?

Was talking to one of the IT guys at work today and he had me all but convinced to buy an 8600 series card tonight but with this big Amazon sale running for another week - maybe it's worth picking up a pair just to appease you guys.

(and FWIW, I've said this before in a very similar post... I'm not looking to play Crysis on full settings here - hell, that coworker is playing it fine on mid level settings on his single 8600 series card. 90% of my work is going to be programming/development/production work.)

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

gaming: 8800 > 9600 > 7900 > 7600 > 8600

and you'll buy the 8600?

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. thebox

thebox New Member

they REALLY aren't that bad. they can run hot, and will do so just fine. the power consumption isn't even remotely as bad as 90% of everyone will make it sound. people seem to think you need a 600w PSU to run these cards. not so much. you just need better than a cheap piece of shit power supply.

6. jdw

jdw New Member

I'm not building it for a gaming rig... However I'd rather not cripple it by putting an overly old card in it. (once I get a computer that 'CAN' game a little bit, I might get a game or two)

BUT, I'd rather step down a series on cards and get a 'not so top of the line' processor if it means keeping a cool running machine WITHOUT water cooling or turning it into one big case fan AND keeping power consumption realistic.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a laptop with a dedicated video card.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

9. thebox

thebox New Member

dude, no current hardware will give you heat issues unless it is broken or you build it wrong.

10. jdw

jdw New Member

no....
    I've got no desire to be on a laptop anymore. Not going to fit twin cards in a laptop either. (that sweet economic stimulus check is getting sent to Dell for 2 more 22" ultrasharps)

11. jdw

jdw New Member

Not a bad price.

Newegg has an 8600 for $75 now as well (the one a coworker is running - and was able to play entirely through Crysis on)... Not a hard decision to go ahead and order 2 of those. Just not sure if I'd step up to the 9600 now...

12. deusexaethera

You're not going to be using it for gaming, and 90% of your work is coding, but you need dual video cards? Come on. A laptop video card will do just fine for what you want to do, assuming it's a good one.

All the other issues can be resolved through use of a docking station.

13. jdw

jdw New Member

I honestly don't get why you think I need a laptop... especially when I can likely go cheaper and build a desktop...

:hsugh:

And what does dual video cars have to do with gaming? You only game on one monitor - and I've already said I could care less about SLI... I want dual cards for the 4 DVI outputs...

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

looks to me that your coworker already convinced you to get that shitty card from the start. go buy it then.

15. deusexaethera

The reason why I'm saying you should get a laptop is because you wanted a low-power system. Well, if that's your primary concern, then a laptop is your best choice.

As for gaming and coding at the same time, you could use the good video card built into the laptop to game with, and get something like that Matrox USB-to-VGA adaptor to run extra monitors for coding and IMing and whatever other devilry you do when nobody's looking.

Maybe you don't like my idea, but it would still serve your needs, that's why I'm suggesting it.