build me a decent closet media server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

currently i have an amd athlon 64 3000+, 1gb ram, on an ecs mobo. the problems i have are:
    - despite reimaging recently, the system will lock up without notice. it usually happens when utorrent is open or after utorrent crashes it checks the torrents. however, i have had it freeze up when utorrent was not open and i was transfering a file or remoting in. i was thinking it was the gigabit card, but when i used to use this as my desktop computer it would freeze sometimes when encoding with dvd shrink (the system hard drive is in a caddy that has 2 fans, so it is cool to the touch)
    - the current mobo has no onboard video, so i have a crap video card installed...even though i only remote in to the server. would like to not have this so i could have more room for more fans
    - mobo does not have gigabit ethernet, so i have a gigabit pci card
    - mobo only has 2 sata150 ports, need at least one more and sata300 preferred.

here's the stipulations on the new build:
    it's got to be cheap, but not ecs mobo cheap. looking to keep it around $150
    does not need to be quiet.
    i have a decent case, power supply, hard drives, and optical drives already.
    i need a new mobo, processor, heatsink/fan, and ram (although i could use the ram in the mobo - it is ddr400, although that is old)
    will be running winxp pro, so i don't really need anything more than 1gb ram, but 2gb is fine

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

3. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

holy crap. Prices have some down (says the guy running 2 939's and 1 socket A)

4. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The only 775 system I have is a vmware server in the closet

7. dorkultra

what does ot think about the following:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3720340&CatId=1599
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3079597&CatId=2264
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2844210&CatId=1588

this would actually be slightly faster than my desktop c2d e2200 machine that i just built, because my desktop has slower memory

i think i might just get this and put my current desktop in my closet as a server

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I bought one of the HP sXXX models off ubid.com. Got it for 325$ (small form factor computer)

dvd player/burner
    vista
    2 gig ram
    amd 5000+
    small form factor

Only thing I needed to buy was a video card (40$) so I could use dvi. Been wroking great. No problems.

Of course I don't use it for anything else. Just sits there and stores my shit.

PS. The funny part about this is that my sister, at the same exact time, had decided after 7 yrs to buy a new computer. Without knowing what I bought she bought the exact same computer except she got it with 3g ram and the amd 5200+. The humor comes in when I told her what I paid. She paid around 650$.

edit again: Here's what I got except I got the amd. http://www.ubid.com/HP_Pavilion_s34...0_2.20GHz_2GB_500GB/a11283297-rsearchone.html

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

Why not just get NAS? Think of your electricity bill.

10. dorkultra

need something to seed torrents, use tivodesktop, rip drm off of tivo files, may also do double duty with opening rar's and ripping/burning dvds

a nas can't really handle any of that, maybe seed torrents on certain models

electricity bill is not a concern

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

wait wait... are you literally counting the number of shits you take or does 242 = the number of noob 2008's there are. If the former then :rofl:

12. dorkultra

i have taken 242 shits this year. although i had a colonoscopy, so i had liquid shits one night for the cleanout prep. i counted that as 3 shits

anyways, i'll probably get the hardware i listed at tigerdirect

13. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

let me know how that works out. i'm actually considering building a media server myself. one that will run 24/7 seeding torrents, stream movies/music to multiple machines, store my pics, manage the printer, etc. i've been out of the hardware game for so long though i have no clue where to begin :-/

14. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Only found on offtopic.com!

15. dorkultra

finally got sick of my old server. its going to make a decent desktop pc for my parents (it seems to hang more when remoting in or running utorrent - neither of which they will be doing)

should arrive in 2 days :x: