Build for boss

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skankin', Feb 15, 2008.

1. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

My boss at work would like me to build or find or whatever the best computer that they can get for $800 (preferably less) in about a month or so (tax returns I guess), but it needs monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS. It would be simple other than the fact that her boyfriend games (BF2 mainly, but he wants it to be good for any game he decides to buy in the next year or so.) I really would prefer not to build it as it is a liability but would if it would save them some money. I was thinking Ibuypower or something since it would be custom, but have a warranty and tech support, but thats a little expensive. I just don't know where to look.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

3. Skankin'

Still seems a bit expensive, by the time you add a decent graphics card and power supply, its over budget, I think I just might have to hand build it.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Dell runs specials just about every day of the week...I get emails all the time from them with really good deals. You can try googling "Dell Coupons" and see if any of the systems mentioned would suit you. You can often save 2-3 hundred dollars by taking advantage of the specials/coupons.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Look out for deals this weekend through monday.
    HP, Dell, Newegg, etc usually have President's Day sale.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, just don't even go there. It's one thing for your boss to expect you to do stuff for him at work, but do you really want to provide free tech support on your off-hours too?

7. etech

etech New Member

I second buying a Dell and adding in a better video card in a month or two.

Check out fatwallet, techbargins etc. for deals.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hehe, especially based on one of the things the original poster said. he's going to be supporting the boss as well as her boyfriend in playing his games. i highly doubt he's going to get a great gaming system for $800 though at least he isn't trying to play Crysis.

i'd say show her a config on Dell's website that fits into her budget and explain to her to value of Dell support.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I'd tell them if they want it future-proofed for games for a couple of years they need to either play on low graphics settings or raise their budget.

Can check out used CRT monitors for them, save a couple hundred bucks. They sell pretty cheap on craigslist and the such.

10. Skankin'

Thats true, I could probably just stick a 8600 GT or so in there and call it a day. Because if my computer breaks, I fix it. If their computer breaks I want Dell to fix it as its not always an easy or cheap repair.

11. deusexaethera

But Dell support doesn't have any value.

12. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

tell them they have to take it to Best Buy or a PC store when it shits on them, as it always does with noobie computer users.

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you don't think that skankin having a life outside of work is value? you just have to learn how to put that into words that the boss will like.

14. deusexaethera

All Dell support will do is delay the phone call by a couple of hours, while the boss figures out that the Dell tech support monkeys are reading to her from a book. Better to get something like a Lenovo ThinkCentre that at least comes with competent tech support.

15. Sexual Vanilla

We have Dell Gold Support for a few of our Dell Servers...whenever something has gone bad they guarantee 4 hour part replacement and installation. We had a processor go out at 7:30 am once...we were up and running by 10:30 am.

16. deusexaethera

That's business support. For a $10,000 server, there'd better be a competent tech at the other end of the phone, or they won't sell too many more $10,000 servers. We're talking about end-user support.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

ah, i was just on the bandwagon of telling the boss to go buy her pre-built computer elsewhere and let someone else do the support. it would be insane for him to try to build her PC because he'll be fucked in the long run.

18. Skankin'

Her boyfriend is decently computer smart, but I don't think he knows how to put one together or they wouldn't be asking me to do it.