Buick Grand National guru's in here please..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DAD DICK, Jan 8, 2006.

1. DAD DICK

DAD DICK MAKE AMERICA GROPE AGAIN OT Supporter

I don't know why I posted this in the ot forum, anyway, here:

It seems like the traffic on turbobuick.com has slowed down quite a bit and I'd like a few opinions on the buildup I'm working on..car is mainly a street car but I want the option to turn it up to 25-28psi and let it cook. I have a Propane injection kit, about to buy a built shortblock,forged TRW's, roller cam, billet caps, etc..I have a TE62 right now, 57's, and a hotwired 340. Also about to buy a set of CNC Champion heads with T&D rr's, I want to run about 115 mph on 93 octane only, around 18psi, and 125 with the propane and 25psi, I know there are some fast Buick guys on here so let me know what you think...suggestions, etc..cam spec suggestions, keep te62 or go bigger, I know that it's an old school turbo so I don't mind upgrading, I have a PTS 9x11 3200 converter, and a TCI 200 trans that will be sent off to get freshened, probably by Jannis. Let me know if I've forgotten anything, it's early...also will be looking for a FMIC..

link to original(no real good info though):
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2273040

2. 989

989 New Member

Have you tried www.t6p.com and www.turbobuicks.com? Whose propane kit are you running? I am currently using the Propain kit but will be dumping it. I was doing about 100 at 24 psi and the propane ran out...POP went the headgasket. It's also a bitch to tune. I plan on switching out to alcohol.

With those go fast parts you'll easily do 115. How's your tranny? You'll smoke it if it's not built well, but Janus does good work. What are you using for data acquisition? Got some pics?

3. DAD DICK

DAD DICK MAKE AMERICA GROPE AGAIN OT Supporter

Hmmm yes I have the same OGS Propain kit. Never installed it. Tell me about running out of propane though. I was under the impression that a tank will last 2-6 months depending on use, so I would think you would know if it was low. It sucks that I spent $600-700 on this kit and now no one is using them. How is it tougher to tune than alcohol? I only have a scanmaster but the guy that is helping me build it (read=doing most of the work) has Direct Scan. The trans will be built by Janus, and I've found a PTE FMIC that is on the way. I haven't tried t6p or tbs.com yet..thanks and let me know on that -

4. 989

989 New Member

I used to fill my tank every two to three months. You would feel that it was running out because the car would start to ping a little bit, check teh gauges and see the pressure was down. Problem is that the gauges are in the trunk. In this case I had been drinking, had a girl in the car and was just being dumb, so when the engine pinged I didn't take my foot out of it. My fault. The propane works, don't get me wrong, but it's more expensive than the alcohol and less consistent. Different temperatures create different pressures and therefore different tuning combinations.

Here's my setup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have both Scanmaster and Directscan, by the way.

5. 6G6N6

6G6N6 New Member

Janis built the trans in my buick about a year ago. It works great. I think 989 has even driven my car? Or no? ah I can't remember.

6. 989

989 New Member

Nope, never drove it. I think I only rode in it once and it was while your tranny was nuked.

7. < DEV >

< DEV > Red Rocket

the 62 will hold the boost you want to make, but with a built motor I prefer to see a 72

and you don't need propane with 30psi, just buy some race fuel instead

8. 989

989 New Member

Race fuel=$6.00 a gallon
    Propane=$8.00 a tank.