GUN Bugout Bags: revisited

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Vermincelli, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

A few asked me to post pics when I got my bags together and I completely forgot until I was cleaning out the camera tonight. Here are the pics.

Most of the items.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And everything packed away ready to go into the back of the truck. (minus the guns of course)

[​IMG]

I added topography maps of California and Nevada with a good military compass, a couple more flashlights (a surefire G2 in each bag) and a compression bag for the sleeping bag to get it to fit in the black duffle, a couple pair of socks, thermals, ski pants and snow shoes after these pics.

The rest of the stuff sits inside the house (duty belt, pistols, M4, tactical vest, ammo)

The SAS manual is probably THE best book you can get btw.

I usually have to break out the bags a couple times a year. Sucks getting stuck on one of the mountain roads during a blizzard but every year I seem to be the only one who has the gear to be comfortable while waiting for the snow to let up and the road crews to get through. I am amazed at how many Californians I see that not only don't have equipment for the winter in the mountains but aren't even dressed properly.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I have that same hatchet. I think it was $3 or $4 at the local Target.

Are those matches waterproof? If not, then what I did was, buy a box of strike-anywhere matches and dip the tip of the match into some melted candle wax and let it dry. Then when you need to use one, you rub the tip of the match against a rock or something to expose the striking surface and then strike the match. The wax keeps the match waterproof and it stays lit a little longer, too.

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Whered you get the canteens and the shovel at? :cool:

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I was looking at the pics at first and thinking...HUH? how can you carry all that stuff on you? Then I got down to the post. After this weekend I'll have throw my $.02 in, I'm taking a Wilderness Survival in a Hostile Environment course. This course specifically goes into basic skills and BOB preperation. The instructor has also put his skills to use by living out of a backpack for extended periods of time in the wilderness.

5. BigBadJohn

Most I have ever done is go on 30 and 40 mile hiking trips with 25 lbs of supplies when I used to be an scout/assistant scoutmaster

6. 2L Bunny

The difference between your trips and most BOB's is your length of stay. With most camp bags you pack for a specified length of time. You know how long you'll be out and how much supplies to take. Where as a BOB is designed to let your be self sufficient and "live" out of either indefinetly or until the area is considered safe.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

All the stuff weighs about 60 lbs. so no biggie if I have to grab it all (which is unlikely) just puts everything in 3 easy to carry packs. I did the whole extended period wilderness training and while I could survive with just a small pack, I figured why do it if I don't have to :)

Actually inside the backpack is a fanny pack that was originally designed for fly fishing that has the main pack and then 2 smaller packs on the sides that alot of the small stuff is put in which is just another way to minimize things. I am anal about organization so if I need to pack less, I can drop the black bag, if I need to pack less than that, then I just pull out the fanny pack and dump the backpack. Old habits.

8. BigBadJohn

Any good online survival tip sites? I dont think they really offer programs like that around here.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

haven't really looked online. I just put stuff together from past experiences when sitting there thinking "shit, I could really have used this or that"

Those syphon hoses are a nice thing to have that I rarely see in anyone's kits though. I have 2, one is for water, another is for gas/fuel.

10. BigBadJohn

So do you have a copy of the zombie survivial guide?
    I dl'd it and read part of the way through, and I believe that alot of the rules apply to there. As far as concealmament and transportation goes. As well as weapons.

Anyone needs it here, just give me a link to a good, free file uploader and its yours

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Seems like alot of knives, but over all good. I'm wanting to put together a bug in emergency kit. A way to heat a few rooms of my home without power especially would be nice. rumple you have to be close to being without power don't you?

12. BigBadJohn

Out of power? You mean from the ice weve had? Yeah, I was w/o power for a day or so. We just kept the fireplace going.

My dads apt still doesnt have power from the end of last week, but hes using kerosene heaters.

13. BigBadJohn

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

you can never have too many blades or flashlights :)

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah I hear the closer you get to stl the more places are without power, supposedly most of the belleville area is in the dark still I hear.

16. BigBadJohn

Yeah. Theres a country road just a half mile or so out of town that is still w/o power. Utility company must have forgotten about them or something.

I had to go to work Friday morning at 5 just in case power came on. There was nothing to do but sit around. But I noticed some blue arc flashes in the sky. I thought it was the lines touching. Then it turned green, and I realized a transformer was going to blow. Not soon after, thew sky turned from green to orange red and then stopped altogether.

17. Jake!

Jake! Guest

18. Jake!

Jake! Guest

lights = weight

consider a solar charger

a local company makes this one for the military
    it also available directly from the manufacturer @ http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jake!

Jake! Guest

20. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Eh, to the point that you focus on those tools to the excusion of other tools/supplies/etc, I'd say that you can definitely have too many.

21. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

22. 2L Bunny

I haven't heard of any good affordable solar battery chargers just yet. A Gerber Infinity Ultra and a 4 pack of Lithiums will give you light for weeks. Plus the Lithium cells are very light weight.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I didn't exclude anything, I just added more. :)

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Problem with solar is you need sun. Bad weather or a shelter would cause problems. I have a dynamo flashlight in the side pouch as a backup. Just crank it for 30 seconds and you have light. Also a dynamo am/fm/weather radio helps.

25. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Well then, carry on! :bigthumb: