buget performer video card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i'm helping a friend peice together a new PC... and i'm having trouble finding coming up with a good video card for his budget. he says he doesnt want to spend more than $150 on teh video card, which he knows wont get him uber performance. i just want to get him as much as i can for that $150.

its been two years since i built my pc, and i honesly havent been paying attention too closely to the video card market.

can any of you offer some suggestions for a good bang-for-you-buck video card?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

3. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

the 6600GT is probably the best band for your buck card. XFX has a double lifetime warranty on their cards so that's a good deal. I still consider them second tier compared to BFG and eVGA tho.

if you're building a new pc what are you going with AGP? It's a dead technology at this point so if you're buying a new mobo anyway you might as well make it an NF4 board with pci-e.

in any case that is a good card and you will like it.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i have an nForce2 board with 8x AGP, only 350W PSU. think i'll run into any trouble if i get this card? i heard you might/probably need a cable splitter for the power supply cable since the card itself requires it's own.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Another vote for the 6600gt.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You'll get better performance from a 6800 (non GT or Ultra)
    This is right on the breaking edge of the budget for the card but still fits
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1004009&CatId=880

I would also have to agree with AeroSquid; if you're building new then get a mobo with PCI-E. And if you still want to go with the 6600GT, then TigerDirect has a XFX 6600GT PCI-E for the same price...sadly no 6800s close enough to $150 though.

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

ok. very good points. i hadnt thought much about pci-e.

is pci-e the new agp when it comes to graphics? (remember, i've been out of this for a little while). will we be able to find a good pci-e mobo deal?

i think the only reason i had gone with AGP initially was b/c he chose this mobo combo...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-details.asp?EdpNo=1567095&sku=MCM-7NJL6-3000

we are not set on that for any reason other than it was a good deal. i'll look around and see if i can find a good mobo combo that supports pci-e.

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

ok.. i'm looking on newegg... and i see pci-e x1 and pci-e x16.

wtf is the difference??? and which one do i care about as far as graphics are concerned?

9. Frequency

Frequency New Member

no, PCI-E is the new slot when it comes to anything, but yes it replaces AGP

PCI-Ex16 will be your graphics slot, the PCI-Ex1 is for other periphapels(sP) as they begin to expand into the PCI-E world, PCI-E vid cards are also rahter cheap for the performance you get out of them.

10. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

sweet.

are pci-e x1 slots backwards compatible with old school pci peripherals?

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

don't believe so but im nto too ontop of the PCI-Ex1 stuff im pretty sure its a different slot http://www.google.com would help

12. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

cool.

the more i think about it... the more i think going the router of some of this newer stuff may not be for him. i know he (or his fiance) is stringint on his buget, and i think we can compromise and get good performance with some of the non-cutting edge stuff.

i'm thinking Athlon XP 3000/3200 and a 6600GT. that should definately fit our buget.

thanks for your help guys.

13. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

No.

[​IMG]

The blue slot in the pic is the PCI-E x16 slot.

14. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i wouldn't suggest the pci-e as a necessity. if he's a gamer and wants future upgradability to keep on top of things.. i would then.

15. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

awesome. that helps alot. thank you very much.

another question. i havent been able to find any mobos that even offer pci-e with a non-64bit socket mounting. is this correct, or am i not looking well enough? at this point, i'm looking for my own edification (sp?) and not for this project. i'm still going to suggest the cheaper AGP/Athlon XP setup to my friend... even tho it has less future upgradablilty potential.

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you're building a new computer with outdated tech, make sure you come as close to maxing it out as you possibly can. Buy lots of RAM - two gigs if you can, so you won't need a pagefile - it'll make a big difference on how long the computer lasts before it's painful to run new software on it.

The Athlon XP 3200+ is only 40 "Intel megahertz" faster than the 3000+, and even the 200 "AMD megahertz" difference isn't enough to justify the jump in cost for the faster chip. Save some money by going with the 3000+ and splurge on a Serial ATA disk or something.

17. porambo

porambo New Member

I doubt that you could get a noticable diffence in performance with the 6800 vinilla. If you wait a bit you can get a 3000 939 sempr0n ($91) that is exactly is the same as a ($145)venice 3000 except for 128 cache instead of 512. And then you could get pci-e and not spend much more money for so much upgradability.

...The sata disks are as much as IDE drives now, and they are not faster....
    Unless your talking about a raptor or so...

18. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

6800LE > 6600GT

...with softmod(RivaTuner) the 6800LE is the best card you can get for the 125-130$ range.

19. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

please explain this softmod thinger more.

20. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Not at all...If it is a generic/crappy 350w PSU, then you'll be in trouble...

If it weighs four pounds, you're set.

Hey! Glad to hear it all worked ;).

This is the softmod link I sent Jeff:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

21. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

A good Sempron 64 w/ 256K cache, and a Chaintech VNF3-250 AGP motherboard combo on Newegg is MUCH cheaper than a comparable AXP system with motherboard of equal quality.

Keep in mind, good quality Socket A motherboards are on the brink of extinction. It's being left to the PCChips/ECS dogs.

22. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member