Bug and Tar remover?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Run N. Gun, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

After cleaning my uber-bugified Expedition this last weekend, I'm curious what people use to clean bug/tar off their cars? I found an old can of Stoner's Tarinator and used that with mixed results. I'm not so sure how "healthy" products like these are for paints, especially with all the polymers/waxes/etc we labor to get on the paint.

Advice?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I don't use them unless I absolutely have too. No real recommendation, just stick with name brand products if you have to use one.

3. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I typically don't either, but this last time was really bad. I guess my concern is that if I use "popular brand x" and it removes the bugs/tar AND strips the polish, sealant, wax, etc as well? Even worse is using it in spots so you have an inconsistent finish. :crying:

Are my concerns unfounded and most products won't interfere or chemically interact with an existing detailed finish?

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

B&T remover is by nature a chemicle stripping agent. Any selent you put on the car, it will strip off. Theres just no two ways about it.

Fortunately, mose of the its usually only needed on one panel. So if you do have to spot clean a body panel, at least there is just that one section to do.

But becuase it is a chemicle stripper, you should really rewash that area before you attempt to reapply any sort of product, to neutralize the cleanres, and remove any residue.

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

As Scott said, I don't use them unless I have too... for tar I use Autoglym Intensive Tar remover and for bugs 1z Anti Insekt. I only use them when I can't do it with plain ol car wash.

6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Great information guys and it makes a lot of sense! I had a hunch that was the case, but wanted to make sure.