buffing fresh paint

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ZaC851, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

So a couple weeks ago a tree fell on my black escalade as I was driving down the road. Luckly, it was the top of the tree that landed it directly on my hood as I drove all the way through it, the branches were smaller...anyway...took it to a body shop, got it all taken care of...i picked it up yesterday..It looks good to a ordinary person but its definetly not up to my standards or look as good as before it happen because of all the work I put into paint. Question is, can I hit it with the UDM to remove swirls etc on the fresh paint. Guy told me I shouldnt wax it for a awhile but these swirls are bugging the shit out of me??

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You can polish to your heart's content, but use very mild polishes as the paint will still likely be VERY soft compared to what you're used to. Just make sure the polish you use is body shop safe -- meaning preferably something like Meguiar's #80 (which incidentally is still my go-to polish for paint that hasn't cured enough to wax/seal).

Something like that won't cause any problems with the fresh paint out-gassing solvents, so you'll be fine.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You should bitch about the swirls to the body shop. Not sure I'd trust them to take them out but at least let them know you are unhappy with how poorly they buffed your paint. If people would constantly bitch at them, maybe they learn how to properly polish a car.

2nd the #80 suggestion. Not only is it a decent polish but it offers some protection without inhibiting the curing process.