Buffer - what should I get?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 91RS, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I've heard the Porter Cable around here, but I've also seen a few people swearing by a DeWalt one too. I've never had one before and have no clue what to look for. I found the Porter Cable on Autogeek and the price looks decent and look like it comes with the pads I need to get started. Is this the buffer or is there something else I should look at? http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Thanks.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Porter Cable or Cyclo. Both are random orbital DA buffers so there really is no chance of burning paint or leaving rotary holograms.

Not sure which Dewalt model you are talking about but if it is a rotary, just remember that while it can really do a great job removing defects quickly, it can also remove paint quicker than you might think. The PC and Cyclo have a very small learning curve, the rotary is more difficult to master.

3. 91RS

If there's virtually no chance of burning through my brand new paint, then that's the one I'll get!

Is the one in the link I posted about everything I'll need to get started with (minus all the wax, polish, etc.)?

4. 91RS

What exactly do the cutting pads do?

5. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

there actually is a chance if you work it for long enough.. especially with a medium cut pad.. but i mean a loooong time! one thing i hate about the pc is it works slow unlike a rotary.. but sometimes slow is safer.

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I'd rather work slower than permanently damage my paint.

If you have the expertise to know what you're doing, get a rotary by all means. but if you're starting out then forget it!

8. Tomee

Tomee Heel and Toe OT Supporter

i started out using a RA, have now switched to a rotary, and loving how much faster it is detailing