Buffer size

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HatSee, May 12, 2005.

1. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

I'm going to grab a new HD pretty quick and was looking at basically gettting a 200gb or 250gb drive for storage.

My question is how much of a difference will having a 8mb buffer make over a 2mb buffer?

I've found a 250gb WD HD in Canada here for $140 after a $50 rebate which seems like a great deal, but the only problem is it has a 2mb buffer on it. Now seeing as this is only for storage should this make a huge difference to me? I hope not, because a 8mb drive will cost about $50 more then this one, so I'd like to save the money, but only if it wont be a big problem... :hsd:

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you're dumping extra files on there like music, images, movies, and not constantly accessing it... get the cheaper drive.

3. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

I agree.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, an 8MB buffer drive is better in all instances -- especially in file storage.

get the 8MB buffer.

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

dot

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sure its better. But he won't much notive the performance difference is he's not using it for alot of random access, or using it much at all... playing MP3s and movies is not very demanding on a hard drive. So, save the money. Its obviously a concern to him.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i disagree. I think you WILL notice the difference. I have always noticed the difference between 2mb and 8mb... even on office machines... And the difference is less than $10...

Don't make a mistake that you'll regret later on... Go with 8MB.

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

For a primary drive you want an 8MB buffer.
    For a storage drive a 2MB buffer will do just fine.

To consider:
    What if your primary drive failed? Would you then use the 2MB storage drive to replace it? If so you'd be bumming. :)

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

one of the points of an 8mb buffer is to "preload" data. If you have an 8mb buffer for your apps, then you want an 8mb buffer for your data.. Simple as that. You load the app once, but you are constantly accessing the data -- especially if you have music, movies, documents, etc. Small files need to be buffered -- and when you have all those together, you may be doing only small transactions, but you're doing a LOT of small transactions -- which requires the buffer. When operations are linear, buffer isn't so important.