Buell 1125R Ride Review by Me

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Frequency, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

[​IMG]

Well after months of waiting it finally happened, I had the opportunity to demo Buell's new bike - the 1125R.

I feel Buell has done this bike right.

The Looks:

- Pod People

In photos the very first thing that you notice are the radiator pods on the side of the bike. In person these pods blend very well into the over all appearance.

- Front Fairing

In a word the front fairing is "wide". The fairing while large does help with the aerodynamics the creating with what Buell calls the "quiet zone". Even at speed while passing cars and trucks I felt as if i was in a bubble produced by the fairing.

- Color

You can get the new 1125R in any color as long as it is Black & Blue. The color scheme chosen by Eric Buell was to represent the trials he has gone through to get his own motor in his bikes and on the market. Expect to see more color schemes in the future.

The Ride:

- Power

The 1125R puts more power to the ground than any other model in the Buell lineup. The power delivery is very smooth and predictable. My only knock is this bike is RPM hungry and will feel slightly bogged down when working your way through stop and go traffic at the lower end of the RPM range(below 4k). Although once you are up and moving the bike performs wonderfully and has plenty of power to spare.

- Shifting

The vacuum assisted hydraulic clutch is a dream. It requires very little effort from fingers or toes to shift. This is one feature I will surely miss every time I hop on my current bike.

- Braking
    Buell has updated the front brake to there race brake the ZTL-2. The braking power is amazing a always and will stop you in a hurry.

- Exhaust

The song this bike sings is very beautiful. The pitch isn't to high as if it were whining. Nor does not rumble as harshly as it's sister Buell's engine. Instead it produces a very bass filled but smooth rumble.

The Problems:

- Hot leg

During testing the 1125R had exhibited a hot foot "feature" that would roast a riders right foot due to the position of the headers and airflow. This problem has been reduced but not completely eliminated with the addition of a heat shield. Now the problem appears to have shifted to the left. The frame of this bike can get very warm in a hurry and can heat up your left leg very quickly.

- Low RPMs

As I mentioned earlier this bike enjoys RPMs. When just getting going it takes a little bit of feathering the clutch and finesse to start out smooth. This is not a huge problem but something to be aware of.

- Mirror Vibration
    While at speed your mirrors can vibrate and distort what is behind you. This is a problem that plagues most Buell motorcycles. It appears though as if you can rather easily remedy this problem yourself with the tightening of a few nuts in the mirror assembly.

The Pros:

- LED Lighting
    Turn signals and rear brake lights are now completely LED. They are made up of clear lenses and color LEDs for your front and rear signals(changed for production so different from picture above). And a red lens and clear LEDs for your rear light.

- Pod Protectors

In the event of a low side the radiator pods have been designed to absorb the impact and take all the damage. They were designed to be cheap($40) and easy to replace.

Overall this is a very solid bike. While there are a few problems to be worked out I would grade this bike as an "B+"

If you would like to ride one for your self Buell is currently traveling the country with their demo trailer allowing rides of the 1125R and all other Buell models. I highly recommend you give this bike a try.
    You can search for upcoming Demo events in your area here: http://buell.com/en_us/news_events/eventslisting.asp

**Handling - I personally have not had a chance to test the handling of this bike on the back twistie roads. That opportunity will present it self to me in 2 weeks time. I will be sure to update everyone then.

2. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

Nice review. I took the XB12R for a spin last year and I loved the low end power...definitely nice for scooting around the city without having to wind it out.

3. Roasted

Roasted New Member

It's still probably not as "rev hungry" as most inline 4s, I'd imagine. Hot bike.......gotta love V-twins.

4. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Nice review, vtwins ftw. Do you remember anything about the pricing? Are these bikes still tiny like the other Buells? Im 6'6" and cound never fit on an older Buell.

5. Roasted

Roasted New Member

I've heard someone in Canada getting quoted at 15500 OTD on one but that's with our $13 sales tax and probably the complimentary Canada upcharge :ugh: so might be way off compared to States

6. Frequency

Frequency New Member

MSRP is 12,995. Most place will get you out the door around $13.5k
    They are a little bigger than other Buells. 6'6" you might be a little cramped but there are after-market remedies to some of the problems.

7. the_canadian

the_canadian New Member

Damn, those front disks are sexy

8. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I'll b e out on the twisty roads on one Friday/Saturday. Will update my review then