Budget Receiver - Worth It?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TrevorK, Dec 10, 2002.

1. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

I was looking into buying a budget home theatre receiver to start off with (And some budget speakers - low end Polks). Is this worth it or should I wait and save up for a higher end receiver/speakers?

Right now I'm looking at the Panasonic SAHE70 Receiver ($279 Canadian). I'm trying to keep the price between 300-400 Canadian (150-250 US). Can I get anything decent in this range?

Right now I have nothing - so I assume even this will be a huge difference?

Anyone want to provide advice to someone just starting out is more than welcome..

2. 04

04 Guest

I would go with the Panasonic....

My friend drives his speakers at very very high volumes at times for extended periods, and he has the cheapest 200 dollar Panasonic DD/DTS reciever the store had.

I have a Technics SA-DX1050, and it is amazing for its price of 250 dollars US. Technics is owned by Panasonic....

3. CNR

CNR I come bearing Triominos!

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but usually more expensive recievers use a high current amp while cheaper ones don't :dunno:

4. 04

04 Guest

A "high current" amplifier would mean it is better at driving low impedence loads. Instead of having the power supply operate at a high voltage, the power supply operates at a lower voltage, thus needing more current output to maintain the same power output as a "high voltage" amplifier into a higher impedence loudspeaker.

My reciever says that it is "MOSFET high current", but it isnt all that expensive, it can drive 4ohm loads though, and a lot of recievers cant at full volume. I wouldnt base my buying descision on wheter or not it says "high current" on the front.....

5. CNR

CNR I come bearing Triominos!

what's MOSFET stand for anyway?

6. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

MOSFET = Metal Oxide Semi-conductor/Field-Effect Transistor