A&P Budget 'portrait' lens: Nikkor 85mm f1.8 or Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TheManLouisianaFace, Mar 17, 2010.

1. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

My astigmatism = I can't handle one of those cheap MF f1.4s you guys love :wtc:

These are the options I'm weighing:

Tamron: I'm a tamron fanboi, and I'd like to have something with macro abilities, and it's a cream machine. but I know tamron's and their affinity for hunting, don't want that shit grinding away while someone is waiting for me to take a shot.

Nikon: It's a budget nikon, and I'll probably have to shoot it at f2.2-f2.8
    to be sharp enough corner-to-corner for my tastes (if this is anything like it's little brother, the nifty fifty), so it's not really faster than the tammy. Screw drive.

Both are the same price.

I can't justify dropping the cash for a 105mm VR or 85mm f1.4 with school and all. And this is just to play around with shooting people, since I've never done that before. (1light stuff.)

Suggestions? Go fuck myself? Is wendy's open?

This is for a D80 btw. I already have a 50mm prime, but I'd like something longer, and the 70-200 is too bulky for what I want.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

if you're going portrait, go 85 1.8

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I love my Tammy 90mm.

Not sure how it would do as a portrait lens though... Since it's a macro, the focus screw is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaallly long and slow, made for micro adjustments while in macro mode...

However, I just threw it on the d200 and went outside, just to remember how it looked on a crop body and to test the focus, and in decent light it actually seemed to pick up focus pretty good...

If you train yourself to use the 'limit' switch, I think I could actually see this working out pretty well...

hmmm....

(side note, I'm about to sell my liver for an 85mm 1.4... fucking things are amazing...)

4. TheManLouisianaFace

This is what I'm thinking. Or maybe I could justify a 105mm VR if I sell off some film and pentax gear I never use...

doesn't joey use his 105vr for portrait work?

5. TheManLouisianaFace

hmmmm, damn now I'm back to being undecided :o

You think the D80 would make it any slower, focus wise? D200 should be identical in that regard, right?

:rofl:

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

its worth your liver...

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Upon further testing, the thing isn't bad at all if it has enough light. Its actually really accurate. Once you get to iffy/low light, it hunts forever.... and once it starts hunting, it's faster to switch to manual, get it close, then hit the limit switch and try again... Not ideal...

and yes, the 200 and 80 are identical focus wise...

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I dunno, I use my liver a lot... It's pretty close...

9. TheManLouisianaFace

yeah, if I'm trying to learn 1light style stuff, that famous tamron hunting (I'm sure the 90 is even worse than my 70-200 due to the macro drive like you mentioned.) in iffy light will probably get annoying. Maybe I could just put a cheap ebay modeling light inside the umbrella /w the strobe. Hmmmmmmm.

10. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

The tamron 90mm produces some really nice portrait images, but yes, like jared said it is slow to focus as that is not what it was intended to do really.. I don't have anything of people uploaded, but here are some samples of animals I shot with the lens..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TheManLouisianaFace

lol @ ebay engrish

[​IMG]

12. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

as jared pointed out if you use the limit switch the hunting is not bad. Also, the collar is really easy to pull back on, spin close to focus, and pop back because most of the time it is just trying to find the focus point that is a pain for the lens.

Plus using the AF illuminator light does help too.

Heck I am sitting on my couch damn near in the dark and easily focusing on stuff 10 feet away that is pretty small.

For portraits I think it would be fine because your subject is not moving or minimal movement.

Plus it is a great macro lens.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

on crop, i think 50mm
    but on FF, i'd go 85mm

14. TheManLouisianaFace

I'm on a crop (D80) and I have a 50mm prime, but I still like something longer and flatter for portraits.

15. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

85 fo sho

16. TheManLouisianaFace

Yeah, I was thinking about the venerable tamron 28-75 f2.8, but it won't be the cream machine that the macro 2.8 is.

17. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

food contains MSG. beware

18. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

It is one of those decisions no matter which way you go you will be happy with the decision.

19. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Threw me off because when I hit submit this is what I saw and then I had to double check because I was scared I posted in the recall thread that was going on earlier.

20. s14brent

s14brent Active Member

i'd say 85 for the faster focus in low light. I actually have both, i rarely use my 90 macro unless its a product shot., or paired up with a ring flash which the detail imo the macro is better. remember the tamron is a macro, so most the time in limit your smallest aperture is like 3.5 iirc. The set where i chopped off the girls head (lol), thats show with the 85 f/1.8

21. TheManLouisianaFace

I'm aware of the variable aperture, but I thought it only came into play at close macro distances?