budget build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by net_prophet, Jun 25, 2007.

1. net_prophet

net_prophet Tactical Texan

Well I'm building my (much) younger cousin his first computer out of some spare parts I have stashed away but was looking for advice on the motherboard/processor

Here's what I have so far
    keyboard/mouse monitor
    HDD
    1/2 gig ram
    and this video card

just want to get a nice budget cpu and motherboard and power supply, this will just be for internet and (very) light gaming on his part

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you want a budget build, it would help if you said what your budget is.

512MB of RAM will not be enough in any case. 1GB is pretty much a requirement nowadays; 2GB is nice for WinXP, if you can afford the $200. Frankly, I'd say it's more important to max out the amount of RAM that the motherboard (whatever it ends up being) can hold, rather than to max out the CPU. You can always pick up a used CPU on eBay, but RAM really likes to run in matched sets and it's harder than hell to find anyone selling used matched sets of RAM.

Giving your cousin that video card will say "I never really liked you that much, anyway." You know he's going to want to play video games on it. Consider this or this instead; unlike the HIS card, these are actually worth the money they cost.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby